If you wanted to run a business...

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I was just curious as to what permits a person might need to have to become a "professional" axolotl breeder. For example, those folks who do reptile or fish shows- what type of permits do they have? (I live in Florida, so this is all I could find regarding my state's laws.)
From what I can tell, you have to have an aquaculture certificate Aquaculture CertificateHowever, there also seems to be a "Freshwater Fish & Frog Dealer's License" that seems to allow the same thing... I'm also unclear because the axie is not a fish, nor is it a frog, and I really can't find much about salamanders on the site.Then there's a third license which a reptile show requires of breeders, the Class III permit Captive Wildlife Licenses & Permits According to the description, you don't need one for axies, but if the show requires it, you would obviously need one.
I have thoroughly search the Florida Fish and Wildlife website, and I think it's pretty clear that axies are legal in Florida. I'm just curious what permits breeders (who make money off of them) would have to have. I fully appreciate that Florida (especially South Florida) has a sensitive ecosystem and I respect the laws that are in place to protect it. Thanks for any other info anyone might have! I'm not necessarily interested in going into business, but just wanted to know.

Don't quit your day job.

It's really hard to actually make money at breeding animals, especially axolotls. If you want to make money, you need to breed something rare or in high demand, like dart frogs.

Most people I know end up giving away their axolotls for free because they can't sell them.

As I mentioned, I'm not necessarily going to start expecting to make a profit off of this. I'm a hobbyist first and foremost- I just like having axolotls. I went to a reptile show recently and was wondering what types of permits were required.

I think the most important thing is to love what you do.

Love for your work is, of course, very good, but in business it is important to think over and plan everything. Marketing and customer support outsourcing plays a key role in the development of your business, because without proper customer support, the lion's share of leads is lost simply because the client did not receive answers to questions about your services, be it axelotl or cleaning, etc. . Don't forget about it.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back