Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Babies have fuzzy mouths

jdlqh8

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm raising some baby axolotls. They are just now developing their hind legs which I'm totally stoked about!!!

So far I've had two casualties that are concerning me because it appears to be fungus coming out of their mouths. The babies are in a 20 gal aquarium (about 20 or so they are all no more then 1.5 in so that's why I think its ok). The aquarium gets about a 50% water change daily to remove ammonia and uneaten food and poop.

Hopefully these pictures help but I am hoping for some advice.

uploadfromtaptalk1360206934936.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360206972209.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360207003568.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

FX1C

Reaction score
Most here do 100% water changes daily & don't forget to scrub the tubs they're in well with a mix of salt & bicarbonate then make sure to rinse really well.

Use aged dechlorinated tap water - keep buckets with lids aging for 1-2 days. Then use. Do a 100% change ASAP to prevent any issues spreading.

What are you feeding them at that size?

What's the temperature of their water?

Have you separated the ones showing signs if fungus (I can't tell if it's fungus or not from the pic - sorry I'm just in my phone at the moment.

Good luck - please update us

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
Just realised you said 20g aquarium not tubs....

How many have you got in the 29g?

It seems to be easier to raise them
In smaller batches / individually in small tuppaware / glad ware with frequent water changes & cleaning the tubs well it seems to keep them healthy & happy.

<3 >o_o< <3

jdlqh8

Reaction score
With the aquarium I don't do a 100% water change cuz aquariums are heavy so its difficult to lift and what not. I suppose I should do a greater water change the 50% so ill start that tonight.

I'm feeding them blood worms and they seem to be doing well with that. The ones with fungus on them have separated and I gave them a mild salt bath to help eliminate the fungus. I didn't know how well the babies would do with a full salt bath so I stayed on the side of caution.

I haven't taken an accurate temperature, but I do know that water temp is very cool. I keep the babies in my basement because of cooler stable temperatures, less light and I don't get in as much trouble from the Mrs when I spill water. :D

So far the babies survived over night. (The ones that appeared infected) one was floating and I'm not sure he will make it but the other one seems to be doing ok.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks for your help or thanks in advance for your help!!

FX1C

Reaction score
With the aquarium I don't do a 100% water change cuz aquariums are heavy so its difficult to lift and what not. I suppose I should do a greater water change the 50% so ill start that tonight.

I'm feeding them blood worms and they seem to be doing well with that. The ones with fungus on them have separated and I gave them a mild salt bath to help eliminate the fungus. I didn't know how well the babies would do with a full salt bath so I stayed on the side of caution.

I haven't taken an accurate temperature, but I do know that water temp is very cool. I keep the babies in my basement because of cooler stable temperatures, less light and I don't get in as much trouble from the Mrs when I spill water. :D

So far the babies survived over night. (The ones that appeared infected) one was floating and I'm not sure he will make it but the other one seems to be doing ok.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks for your help or thanks in advance for your help!!

How many axolotls do you have in the aquarium? 1-5 / 5-10 / or more?

Does the aquarium / tank they are in have substrate or bare bottomed?

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!