Chunk out of axies tail! EEK!

poot69

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
One of my axies has a rather large hunk out of his back end. It's only happened in the last 24 hours is there any special care I should take? Will it heal? It doesn't seem to be bleeding but if I look closely there is a spot of blood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 206
Does he have a tank mate thts done this? It does look like it will heal itsself they are great healers but just keep an eye on it make sure no fungus ect forms..
Make sure its kept cool n dark n it will heal a lot faster x

Also recommend you remove the gravel as this can cause fatal complications..

He has 3 tank mates. Not sure which one has done it tho. Although I have noticed my gold one has been quite mean lately. I kept them well fed and everything so not sure why she keeps trying to eat the others

Yeah my wild type has been a bit mean recently n dunno why so she hAs to be seperated n go to a new home :(

I hope I don't have to do that I really like my gold one they're quite hard to find over here

I found a piece of tail while cleaning tonight. Not sure if its the while piece tho as it was quite small

Hope it heals quick. That gravel could be quite dangerous. If they swallow it, it can lead to so many complications. Have you considered using a sand substrate instead of gravel?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back