Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New filter

steve611

Reaction score
The filter I got with my tank broke today so I went into the store and got another one. The new filter I got is for upto 40l tanks and I was told it would be fine for my 35l tank. Anyway long story short, the filter is too strong and my juvenile axolotl can only be on the right side of the tank to rest. when he is on the left side the filter pulls him over to the right side. My I have my hide right under the filter and I'm going to put a rock or something on top if it. But my question Is what should I try to block a bit? The input or output of the filter? I'm not quite sure what's causing this pull.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Best thing you can do it try to block the flow a bit. I put loads of plastic plants in front of my filter, it seems to make the current less strong. I noticed my axie spends more time at the water surface now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1