Question: Sea salt for BBS hatchery

SuperSteve

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Steve-o
I have a lot of baby axolotls and my daphnia supply is getting very stretched so I'm going to have another go at trying to hatch brine shrimp eggs. I can set up the hatchery with no problems but last time I tried nothing had hatched after 2 days. I thought I maybe had the wrong salt because it was aquarium salt meant for use on freshwater fish (to cure illnesses and lower ph levels) I bought a box of seasalt from my local Tesco's but still can't see anywhere on the box whether it's non-iodised. Given this info from the box could anyone tell me whether it's ok to use for hatching brine shrimp?

Brand- Geo Organics
Box description- Organically approved Atlantic sea salt.
Contains- Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium. Free from Anti-caking agents. These crystals retain some natural humidity.

Sea salt is almost always not iodized.

However, this is irrelevant, unless you're using it for salt baths. As long as you're using it just to hatch the shrimp, it will be fine.

Is your water warm enough? BBS wont hatch in cold water. Do you have the correct amount of salt? Is there a cinsistent light sorce? Enough aeration?

Water has to be nearly perfect for them hatch.

heres a link to a video i followed worked every time
DIY How To Hatch Brine Shrimp Eggs - YouTube

Water is at about 21 celsius. I set it up yesterday and the mixture went brown as it should do but when I woke up and went to check it today the mixture has all risen to the top. Theres a big bubbling mess at the top and all the rest is pretty much clear water. Whats going on?

Your aeration isn't enough. You need to be bubbling violently from the bottom of the container.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back