Newbie here!!

Flounder

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,

I'm in Australia and I'm the proud new owner of two Axolotls - Lottie and Axie.

Looking forward to chatting and learning on here with each of you.

-Flounder

Hi & welcome from another sydney sider :)

There's quite a few from Sydney on here now - we'll have to organise monthly
AA meetings (Axolotls Anonymous lol) or something one day :)

Yes we're all a bit mad here :eek:

Oh & it's not a proper introduction without pictures ;)

Just curious - where did you get them from?

Hi Nikki and Kerry,

Thank you both for the welcome. So sorry for not providing pics. I will be soon though. I think they're a bit camera shy which may be the reason why I am not able to get them into focus haha!

I bought them both from Reef River Reptile in Hornsby. It was the only store in town that I could find them at the time. Funny thing is I've seen a couple at two other shops since then.

I was a bit nervous at first, constantly worrying about whether I'm doing everything right or not. I began to hate Blood Worms almost immediately because they create so much mess in the tank. I've now got them on Beef Heart and Meal Worms. However, I've been told Meal Worms can be hazardous to Axolotls - is that true?

Also, in your opinion is gravel a huge issue even though you're hand feeding your Axolotls? Sorry for all the questions.

-Flounder

Hi Nikki and Kerry,

Thank you both for the welcome. So sorry for not providing pics. I will be soon though. I think they're a bit camera shy which may be the reason why I am not able to get them into focus haha!

I bought them both from Reef River Reptile in Hornsby. It was the only store in town that I could find them at the time. Funny thing is I've seen a couple at two other shops since then.

I was a bit nervous at first, constantly worrying about whether I'm doing everything right or not. I began to hate Blood Worms almost immediately because they create so much mess in the tank. I've now got them on Beef Heart and Meal Worms. However, I've been told Meal Worms can be hazardous to Axolotls - is that true?

Also, in your opinion is gravel a huge issue even though you're hand feeding your Axolotls? Sorry for all the questions.

-Flounder

Firstly GRAVEL IS DANGEROUS!
No ifs ands or buts!
No such thing as safe!
Just because you hand feed doesn't mean they won't still try & eat anything that moves or they think moved!
I've seen too many unwell axolotls from gravel!
I have 2 dead bodies full of gravel in my freezer. Just yesterday I tried to help a ladies axolotl who had 3 stones + assorted gravel in its gut - it felt like a beany baby :( it died last night as it hadn't been able to eat for months!

Bare bottom or sand are easy - siliconing slate into the bottom looks great but adds weight & you have to make sure it's really well sealed. Large river rock (+5-6cm way bigger than head size) look great but are awful to try & keep clean.

Feeding earthworms is the best - bunnings sells worm kits for compost bins & a box of 500 is $29 or 1000 $52
You could build a worm farm using a couple of broccoli boxes & keep a constant supply of healthy worms.

River & reef have tried to tell me that the beef heart combo cube is best food - I disagree! It's messy & cheap nasty byproduct! Try live worms your axolotl will love them - you can chop them mouth width size to get them used to eating them - the entertainment from watching them eating worms is awesome.

Keep an eye on your water temp & parameters - do your regular water changes & you should be rewarded with healthy happy lotls :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back