Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weld-On Acrylic Cement

Danny

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got my axolotl today (pretty small currently, have yet to measure it because I don't want to scare him too much) and my dad and I are going to make a little aquarium for it temporarily until we get our 10 or 20 gallon aquarium ready. We have the acrylic but we are wondering if it is okay to use Weld-On Acrylic Cement? Thank you very much!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's safe or not. Wouldn't it be easier to use a plastic tub?

Danny

Reaction score
Yes, and that's a possible option but we currently have the little aquarium in our kitchen and we don't really want a plastic tub on the kitchen counter because it would look pretty tacky. My dad just told me that this Weld-On stuff dries as acrylic, so it would be safe then, correct?

Lugubris

Reaction score
Often when you use any glue, cement or similar adhesive, small amounts of the chemicals that react to make the adhesive harden/cure are left behind and will leach out even after a long time of use. The FDA has actually set regulations about what kind of adhesives can be used around food because of this. Even those food safe adhesives can leach chemicals however, but they seem to be more or less benign (after curing at least). I always use food safe (which also states that it is aquarium safe) silicone adhesives which work well on virtually any material including acrylic. I use DAP All-Purpose 100% silicone adhesive (not trying to promote DAP, just providing an example, plus it just seems to be the only aquarium safe silicone stores carry) which comes in a small green and black tube. It can be found at most neighborhood hardware stores because of its use in various hobbies, I did not have any luck finding this or any other aquarium safe product at large hardware stores however.

Many people state that silicone is the same whether it states that it is food/aquarium safe or not, but that is a fallacy. Silicone used for doors or molding often has poisons in it to inhibit the growth of mold or mildew. In addition, the equipment used to create the silicone may be used for creating other adhesive products. Food safe silicone has more restrictions, so it is unlikely that shared equipment would be used to make it. Many people have used 100% silicone (without mold/mildew resistance) without problems but I believe in the saying: better safe than sorry. Even if your animals look okay, you do not know if they are suffering from long term chemical exposure that could shorten lifespan.

Edit: Admins, it seems like there are a lot of people on caudata building their own setups (including me). Maybe a sticky with information about appropriate adhesives/building materials would be helpful in Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews.

Last edited:

pookiewn

Reaction score
Another forum member made their own acrylic tank, have a look here to see what they used.
Just out of curiosity, what is your axie going to be in while the tank dries, cures and has it's water test? Why not just set up the permanent tank now?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!