Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A strange problem

lazymut

Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe a month ago my Ambystoma Maculatum that I have kept for 5 or 6 years developed a new and concerning habit . I woke up one morning and I found him on his back. I assumed the salamander dead and tried to cover him up but then noticed that he was still breathing. I had to flip the salamander by hand. And after that he seemed totally fine. I occasionally see him sitting half on his side in his tank and I have found him on his back on a couple more occasions since this and he has seemed totally fine after it every time.

So should I be worried ? Has anyone heard of such a thing before? This salamander has displayed slightly unusual behaviors for his species in the past so I think there is a chance I may just have an eccentric salamander.

Thanks in advance

lazymut

Reaction score
Update : I've noticed how he ends up flipping over. He seems to have a lopsided walk which causes him to roll over onto his back and get stuck there. Please if anyone has any idea please get in touch , its getting more frequent and I think he has gone off his food.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There is definitely something wrong. I would recommend seeking the assistance of a vet who has knowledge of amphibians.

lazymut

Reaction score
Yes I realize the severity of the situation now and shall be looking for a vet but they are few and far between where amphibians are concerned. Thanks for the reply though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1