Question: Filterless set up?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read on a thread on here that axolotl's can do well in a filterless habitat ... how does this work and how do you maintain it? I already have a filter cycled for my tank and as a fishkeeper I am use to the you must have a filter and you must cycle threads so this intrigues me

Unfiltered tanks are usually heavily planted. If not, you need to do frequent water changes.

I plan on a filtered tank personally but I am very curious as to how people make this work

I don't think you'd ever do filter less unless as mentioned the tank was a heavily planted balanced Eco system.

A great example of regular water changes using sponge filters is in China - with some of the healthiest axolotls I've ever seen :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88546

<3 >o_o< <3

I read that Nikki ... I never would have thought to do anything like that, Its sad sponge filters aren't more readily available here.

They are. Most people buy them online. I've had sponge filters in all of my aquatic tanks.

I have ordered them online but I meant in local stores

I have ordered them online but I meant in local stores

Good stores all carry sponge filters - they're not always recommended because they are so cheap. They are sometimes called fry filters. Glad you found them online - it's easier ordering & having it delivered direct :)

<3 >o_o< <3

I am not using a sponge filter for this tank ... I ordered one in the past. I will see how my current plan goes and switch if needed :)

Really? I have checked every store here and none have sponge filters , from the mom and pop places to the big chain stores

Really? I have checked every store here and none have sponge filters , from the mom and pop places to the big chain stores

Now that you bring it up, I don't know if I've ever seen more than a couple either. I've always just ordered them online, so I've never really looked, but I don't recall seeing them in physical stores.

Don't know if this helps or not but one can usually find sponge filters in the mom and pop pet stores. Especially towards the Asian community. Sponge filters are also very popular with the betta keepers also.

I run a severly undersized filter on my aquarium, I have a 22gal tank with a 10gal filter, but I have an exorbitant amount of plants to make up for it. I could probably do without a filter and still be good. I run a somewhat higher powered light, not a single standard T-8 bulb, but 2 T-5s instead to keep the plant growth up and I have a lot of floating plants such as Salvinia and Frogbit to keep the light levels lower where the axolotls are. I have tons of Java moss and Java fern, the moss is tied to a branch that hangs over the sand in main part of the tank.

My nitrates are always low(usually under 20ppm), nitrite and ammonia always 0. I dont do water changes as often as I should but usually do at least a 25% water change monthly to replenish any lost trace minerals and I occasionally add fertilizers.

Its definitely do-able.

Attachments

• axolotl tank.jpg
    axolotl tank.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,847
Thats crazy that some of you have such a hard time finding sponge filters. They are readily available here.
I'd be willing to ship someone them if they needed them.
I've found several on ebay as well., a few i've personally purchased as they were better suited size wise.

Though a sponge filter is still a filtered tank technically ;)

I have several tanks I do not have any type of filter on. some I rarely do water changes as they are well planted and have established eco systems. and some I do regular water changes on to keep the chemistry in range.

Thanks for the info everyone :) I will probably eventually switch all my tanks to sponge filters ... or these little elite filters I found :) I love it and they are perfect for up to a 10 gal with one newt :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back