Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help me please to choose a good starter salamander and steup its home!

Jason123

Reaction score
Hello guys I am new to the forum.First of all I love animals , i have a shrimp aquarium for 2 years and its going verry well(sorry for my bad english).
I know many things about amphibians and their behavior but when it comes to the practical part I have some problems.
These are my questions:
What kind of salamander should I buy?(i am between tiger salamnder and mole salamnder)
What kind of food do they eat?(the reptile shop is far off my house , that means I am not able to visit it once a week for alive insects)
Do they need heater or lamp?
And the most important :how do I set up the tank ?I have some ideas and I already have the container.I am going to put a glass tupper into the container so it will be able to swim.(I am using right now fot my snails but there is no problem I found an other place for these guys)
DSC_0062.jpg
DSC_0063.jpg
DSC_0064.jpg
Do they need soil and live plants?
If they do how often should I change the soil?
If they need water should I filter it?

Thank you guys for your advices! :happy:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :D

Looking at the photo's, I feel that the container may be too small for a tiger or mole salamander, could you maybe post the measurements ?

The main thing about choosing a salamander, is to choose one that best suits the conditions you can provide. Do you know what salamanders are available in your country, may be investigate some of those and see if you can meet their care requirements?

speckles

Reaction score
My first salamander was an eastern tiger salamander i got from my in laws, they got "her" as a gift for their 6 year old and they admitted they knew nothing of amphibians so they gave "her" to me, (i found out recently my tiger is in fact a male so for now on i will be referring to it as him)

They were keeping him in a dry 5 gallon tank with a heat rock and heat lamps, so i took out the heat rock,sand and heat lamps and put him in a 10 gallon tank with coco nut fiber that i spray down every day several times a day. Salamanders love to hide and burrow so you need a substrate they can burrow in but don't put in peat moss it's acidic for salamanders and put in a couple of hides and a water bowl not to deep since tiger salamanders aren't the best swimmers. i learned all this from people on here, i'm sure someone else would tell you more and post a care sheet for more information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1