Cycling and other stuff

speckles

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting an axolotl, i'm not sure when i can get one i don't live close to a store that sells them so i have to buy online, but first i want to get the tank set up. i plan on buying a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium is that enough? i don't plan on using gravel since i know that can cause impaction. i have a sponge filter and air pump i heard that was the best kind of filter to use for axolotls, but my biggest concern is cycling the tank to get it ready for the axolotl.

Someone at a pet store suggested using guppies or live fish to cycle the tank is there a way to cycle the tank without using live fish?

If you can afford it, get the biggest tank you can. Although they can survive in a 10g, it's easier to keep water parameters normal in a larger tank. Axies can get 7"-17" long with 10" being average. 10g tanks are 20" x 10" footprint, so that really doesn't leave it much room to manveuver. A 20g long, however, is 30" x 12" so it provides an 80% increase in footprint!

There are endless variations of cycling tanks without using live fish - you can use frozen prawns, fish food, or pure ammonia. (please google to find out how - I've never personally done it before, so best to get opinions from those than have out on the net :) )

If you have access to a cycled tank, you can use some of the water, however the most efficient thing to do would be to run the old filter on the new tank. The beneficial bacteria mostly harbor on the filter or substrate rather than water column - you could use substrate instead.

What I'm doing to prep cycling my upcoming tank is put 6 plastic sponge scrubbies (bought at dollar store for 6/$1) and let them sit in a cycled tank. There is a huge amount of surface area for the beneficial bacteria to multiply on so it should really help speed up the process.

Thanks for the reply, the place i plan on buy the axolotl from recommends a small tank at first until it grows but i don't want to have to go out and keep buying tanks so i plan on now per your advice to get a 20 gallon tank, the only running filter i have is a filter i use for a small turtle. But the filter i think would suck up or injure the baby axolotl somehow i think so can i run the filter with the sponge filter and let the bacteria build up that way?

By that are you meaning buying a sponge filter, running it in the turtle tank and then using it in the 20g? If so, yes, that will work, however it will take some time for the beneficial bacteria to grow on it. If you do it that way, wait at least 3 weeks (6 weeks would be much more ideal).

As for buying multiple tanks, no need. You could just use the 20g right off the hop, or, go to the dollar store and pick up a $2 food container. I'm not sure what size of juvie you're getting - I have juvies around the 2.5" mark in a 12" x 9" dollarama container and that works perfectly for now. You just have to make sure you change the water (~50% daily?) and scrub the sides and bottom of the container every few days to prevent any build up. This would also give your other tank more time to cycle - just don't forget to be providing a source of ammonia (the frozen shrimp, fish food, pure ammonia, etc) while your tank is cycling even if you are "pre-seasoning" their sponge filter, otherwise the bacteria will die without a food source. Make sure you take tests (use liquid drop tests, not strip tests) of your water parameters (NitrItes, NitrAtes, ammonia) to see how your cycling is coming along. You'll know your tank is cycled when they read:
NitrItes - 0ppm
NitrAtes - 0-40ppm (if higher than that, you need to remove via water change)
Ammonia - 0ppm

Best of luck! :D

I agree. The place you're buying it from wants you to buy multiple tanks because then they get more money.

Raise it in a tupperware until it's eating earthworm chunks, then put it in a 20long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back