Ready for roommates?!

cowpachipixi

Reaction score
Country
United States
My babies are going on the 4 month marker- they all have their front and back legs grown in:D I'm wondering when they can start being roommates~ not sure if they have grown past the "cannibal stage" yet or not. ( you know what I mean by"canibal stage":p) They are well fed, so hopefully there is a less chance of oh opps was that ur toe?!:rolleyes: Anyways was wondering on any thoughts of what age/size they should start being "housed" together.

also had one more thing :confused: a few of my lil ones think its cool to hang upside down, they grab onto the walls to be cool like the ones that dont have a choice bc they got bubble tummies, so i guess this is a hey i can do that too so there! :eek: ~ for my guys with bubble tummies is there a way to help them out i feel bad that they havnt burped out those bubbles yet... ive lowered the water lv in their room to help some but they just wont burp....:( any thoughts on this should i be concerned or just wait til they finally explode like a balloon bouncing off the walls with bubbles coming out both ends lol :lol:

My five month old juveniles live happily together although they do need regular feeds to prevent munching each other. They have started living together about 2 months ago. They just need to be fed well, twice a day at the beginning to minimize any incidents.

I'm unsure what to suggest regarding babies floating up the top of the tank. Are these the four month olds and has this been a common behavior? Perhaps posting a few pictures might help so others can make appropriate suggestions.

Yea they are all 4 months~ from the get go ive had bubble bellies some burp better than others, but ive yet to have all of them bubble burped out at once lol- ive reached my picture limit :blush: but i have tons of pics on their facebook page- moore axolotl :D

To my knowledge, the bubble in stomach issue remains a mystery. If I recall correctly, science doesn't have an exact answer as to why it results. My theory is they're just practicing how to retain the right amount of air for when they become adults. My adult axolotls are like little blimps, they move from one end of the tank to the other with such buoyancy. I imagine they accomplish this by holding in the correct amount of air in their stomachs. I was worried when my first larvae experienced this issue, but it hasn't been a problem and I rarely see it now. I wouldn't sweat it! Your little buggers should be fine : )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back