Axolotl scared of live food

Quentari

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Quentari
My first axolotl has had a steady diet of crickets until I read that they shouldn't have JUST crickets (stupid pet store) so now I give her a variety of live food, mainly earthworms from my local reptile store. So when I got my new axolotl I didn't think to buy any pellets but just tried to give him an earthworm. But he's scared of them.

Every time I try and feed him live food be darts off like he's scared of it, and will only eat the pellets (which I had to go out and buy special), I wouldn't mind but Smiley (my first) refuses to eat the pellets so I have to feed them both separately.

Is this normal for an axolotl?

If you leave it to get hungry it most likely will eat & want live wriggly food after a day or two.. Try chopping the worm into pieces about the same width as the mouth - they'll still wriggle a little but should be easy to Hoover into that bucket mouth :D

I had trouble worming one of mine off live blackworms (axolotl crack!!) to start eating earthworms :-/ it took about 3 days - he now eats them but I can tell he doesn't really like them... Spits them out 500 times then finally eats it - he's like a bratty toddler :-/ lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Do you know what type of earthworm you are offering? Red wigglers release a foul-smelling secretion when handled or cut and a lot of axies refuse them. One of mine has darted away from a worm that was rather stinky :rolleyes:

Mine were very wary of earthworms at first. I left them without food for two days then gave them earthworms chopped to 1/4 inches long (the lotls were 4 to 5 inches). A few weeks later they are now taking them up to 3/4 inches long. Hope that is helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just whatever they had at the pet store, I'll have to check the container when I get a chance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back