Axie ate small pebbles

net

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've got pretty small pebble substrate that the aquarium dude recommended but i just saw some pebbles which didn't get spat out, go down with the food. I've never seen axie pee/poop but if the pebbles are small enough they should go through with no problems right?

No such thing as safe gravel! So I'd suggest getting it all out urgently!

It may pass with no problem - if the tank floor is bare you'll easily see how much is passed :( if many small rocks build up it can cause impaction so for now you're going to need to keep a close eye on your axolotl. It may require fridging if it doesn't pass the stones on its own. Offer lots of food to help the gut coat & pass the gravel - if he goes off food, then you need to worry more & think about putting into fridge.

Please get the gravel out urgently before more can be consumed :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Rule #1: NEVER trust a pet store worker.

Sorry about your little one :( Please follow Nikki's advice and remove the small gravel. You can keep it bare bottomed, replace it with sands <1mm in diameter such as pool filter sand or playsand (amongst some other sands), put slate down or use large rocks 5+ cm in size instead. I hope it passes the small pebbles without a problem!!

Good place to source sand is Bunnings or the Pool shop (silica pool filter sand). Hope that your little one comes out okay! Also, do you have the name of the pet shop? They really need to be warned of the error of their ways (and the illegality of keeping axolotls on gravel!)

kellyville pet shop.

kellyville pet shop.

I just happen to be going there tomorrow :mad: I will be passing on my displeasure to the staff & management!
It angers me so much to hear they recommended gravel :mad: *steaming!

<3 >o_o< <3

Went to Kellyville & spoke to the Aquarium Area Supervisor - I brought this incident up with him & asked him to show me their axolotl care guide - it states - large gravel is ok, small gravel is best avoided - I told him this needs changing Urgently as anything smaller than the head is very dangerous! I also showed him some pics I stole from here of the X-rays to show how large a stone they can swallow. He was shocked & really seemed like he would remind all the staff there that no gravel - & agreed the care sheet needs changing.

Also this morning someone else told me that the pet shop Strictly Aquariums on Marsden Rd - recommended gravel & are keeping their axolotls on gravel :mad: called up pretending to be someone wanting to buy an axolotl & asked her what I'd need to buy to set up a tank... She went through 2ft tank, filter, maybe air stone & gravel! I said I'd heard gravel is bad & her response "it's fine if they don't eat it!" - yup that did it - I lost it & told her I'm not wanting to buy one at all & that this was a confirmation call to see if they were as incompetent as I had been reported. I then asked to speak to the manager... Got hung up on! Called back in 15mins to speak to Rhonda their store manager & she "didn't appreciate being told how to do her job" I tried to remind her of her obligations under animal welfare laws to not keep animals in unsafe conditions! She said she couldn't do sand or bare bottom for their display because its an under gravel filter!! I got beyond angry & told her to expect the RSPCA as I will be making a full report!

I'm taking the day off tomorrow to devote it to chasing up my first complaint to RSPCA (yet to hear anything back from them!) & to make a complaint about this other store. I need to work out how axolotls/morphed axolotls were exempt from our very strict laws about selling reptiles & amphibians - maybe they hadn't hear of caudates :( that's soon going to change - I will soon be known as "That annoying axolotl woman!" very soon if I'm not already! lol

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back