Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl breeding what has worked for you in the past

eha

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to stimulate axolotl breeding, what has worked for you in the past. what age do axolotls need to be to breed succesfully.

just basically wanting different views and opinions.

thanks

Neil C

Reaction score
Make sure the axolotls are a least two years old, keep the adults separate until you want to breed them and put them together when the female is plump and the male exhibiting his obvious bulge. This usually occurs in winter.

Regards Neil

Minniechild

Reaction score
For my axies, a lengthening of the amount of time they are exposed to light, coupled with a slight change in water temperature (only a degree or two) or a water change can set them off...Which is annoying when I'm trying to dissuade them until Midwinter.
I agree with the age thing Neil said- Mine didn't wait, and now I'm watching them VERY carefully to avoid long-term problems (My mum has forbidden me from getting more tanks, so no chance to split the genders out). More important is taking steps wherever possible to avoid overbreeding- an axie can lay well over a thousand eggs in a spawning, and you can just imagine the stress that would put on their body! My Molly has laid under a hundred in each spawning (Approx.60 at midwinter, a few at Christmas then nearly 80 on New Years, of which approx. 50 have survived (As far as I'm aware-My brother is taking care of them for me whilst I'm overseas). Goldie, on the other hand, has laid very small batches of under 20 eggs.).
If you want to encourage spawning, might I also suggest ensuring your tank is heavily planted with live plants and moss to provide your girl with a place to leave her eggs?
Hope you have success in the future!

SuperSteve

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a drop of temperature kickstarts breeding activity. I didn't do that though, I introduced my male to a tank with 2 adult females and 4-5 days later I found about 1000 eggs :happy:
It's a lot more work than I expected though so be prepared. Good luck.

mikeg

Reaction score
For my axies, a lengthening of the amount of time they are exposed to light, coupled with a slight change in water temperature (only a degree or two) or a water change can set them off...Which is annoying when I'm trying to dissuade them until Midwinter.

I had my first eggs this way. was doing a water change an hour before soccer before when i left i noticed all my plants floating and eggs everywhere

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1