Mixing different newts?

Dartfrog298

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do different species of newts get along? Can I put 2 eastern newts with a paddletail newt? Paddletail is rather large compared to the eastern news I caught. I breed frogs and am running out of room for now. Will be expanding real soon.Thanks in advance.

A paddletail will tear the eastern newt to pieces...
Mixing is not at all advisable, every single mix, even if it´s between non-aggressive species that require similar conditions (which paddletails and eastern newts don´t), it always implies assuming certain risks. You, and specially your newts, will benefit greatly from avoiding those completely unnecessary risks.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I will definitely keep them separate. I was hoping to get the easterns out of the sweater box but I will run to WM and purchase a 10gal tank and screen cover. Love projects but need to make room. lol

Sweater boxes are excellent (and cheap) salamander enclosures. I kept my colony of jefferson's sals under my bed in a sweater box for years!

Just as an example, a local pet shop had some very small c. Orientalis (fire belly newts) mixed with some paddle tails for 1 day (they said that's how long they had them) and 1 of the newts already has his arm missing. I'd assume this was from the paddle tail.

Most probably. I've seen my paddletails fighting, and either of them would easily tear limbs off a little fire-belly. The tiny tank size used by pet shops doesn't exactly help matters.

On the other hand, I have seen firebelly-only tanks featuring individuals missing a foot, and one of ours is permantently missing 2 toes after a few feeding time squabbles, so there's a chance it could be their own kind.

Personally, I don't always completely trust my paddletails with their own kind, they get so tetchy after a cold spell

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back