Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to feed a 5 inch axie?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
My axolotl has already grown a few inches since I first got him!
I'm trying to hand feed him, but right now his food is simply too small for me to pinch and him to get at. (Newt pellets and frozen bloodworms).
I feel that he may be at the size where I could try something else in his diet. I don't think he's big enough for earthworms yet, however, unless they have shorter worms.
Also, could switching an axolotls diet upset them or stress them out? Or are they fine with trying a plethora of new things?
Thanks!!!

HodgeaPodge

Reaction score
I think a lot of the time people chop up their earth worms before feeding them to their lotls. Crickets could work too. I've found that my lotls will eat just about any food I throw at them without stressing out. As long as the amount of food they are getting is the same, then a varied diet shouldn't be a problem.

Jen10s

Reaction score
My axolotl has already grown a few inches since I first got him!
I'm trying to hand feed him, but right now his food is simply too small for me to pinch and him to get at. (Newt pellets and frozen bloodworms).
I feel that he may be at the size where I could try something else in his diet. I don't think he's big enough for earthworms yet, however, unless they have shorter worms.
Also, could switching an axolotls diet upset them or stress them out? Or are they fine with trying a plethora of new things?
Thanks!!!

Hello, one of my Axies is around 4 - 5 inches, I feed him frozen blood worms (1 cube) and around 3 earthworms (chopped) daily. I feed both in a feeding jar kept in their tank as it saves a lot of mess and they can go in and eat at their own pace. Give the blood worm first cause that fouls the water if not eaten quickly.

Will try to attach a pic - hope it helps :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 661

Kerry M

Reaction score
If you are feeding the newt pellets they might be the tiny ones that I used (HBH). You could also get some round axie pellets as a back up to earthworms. However the little ones still need at least 5 pellets daily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!