Best small filter?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am working on setting up a 5 gallon tank for a single small newt and I am wondering what the best filter is? I can do either internal filters or a sponge filter... A HOB will not work with my tank because the turtle dock would sit directly below it.

Of these options which would you do? I am more than willing to buffer an in-tank

Nearly any internal power filter you get will be too strong for a small tank. I would suggest just an airstone. Or a sponge filter, if you can find one that will work fairly shallow (a 5 gal isn't very deep). Or other small bubble-driven filters, such as a box filter or Tetra 3i.

Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

Other than buying everything for a sponge filter that 3i is the best I can find

If you planted heavily (which wouldn't take much in a 5 gallon) then you could eliminate the use for a filter, basically the walstad method, but if that isn't an option then a sponge filter would be best in the given circumstances. If you choose to go a different route and the filter you choose has too much of a current the the placement of rocks (or obstructions) in front of the filter can help dramatically

If you aren't familiar with the walstad method then just google it and you will learn all you need to know. Very simple, hands off approach for maintaining a tank.

Well there are lots of types of sponge filters ... Opinions on these? Btw I have white gravel so I don't want anything that will stick out TOO badly.

Amazon.com: Lee's Round Dual-Action Foam Filter, Fits up to 5-Gallon: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Elite Sponge Filter: Pet Supplies

I have heard great things about these types of sponge filters but with my newt having a small tank I want it to have as much swimming space as possible

Amazon.com: Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Mini Biochemical Sponge Filter: Pet Supplies

I've used the Lee's yellow ones lots of times. They do indeed filter a lot of waste. They look grungy before long, and the yellow is hard to hide in a tank.

from my understanding the disk is rather compact so I should be able to heavily plant in front of it or put a hide or driftwood in front of it.

I will just go with that one :)

I would STRONGLY recommend the elite mini under water filter by hagen. It maybe be powerful for 5 gallon tank but you can add more filter media and put some plants in the output valve. I. Have one of these filters and its really good for cleaning my newts water. REMBER to NEVER throw away the sponge that comes with the filter just rinse it out, dont listen to instructions about buying a new sponge every month. Only buy another if it wears of or breaks, and HAPPY NEW YEARS everybody:D:D:D

I would STRONGLY recommend the elite mini under water filter by hagen. It maybe be powerful for 5 gallon tank but you can add more filter media and put some plants in the output valve. I. Have one of these filters and its really good for cleaning my newts water. REMBER to NEVER throw away the sponge that comes with the filter just rinse it out, dont listen to instructions about buying a new sponge every month. Only buy another if it wears of or breaks, and HAPPY NEW YEARS everybody:D:D:D
This thread is almost a year old xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back