Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this not acceptable?

net

Reaction score
I was getting some water treatment from an aquarium store today and noticed that one of the axies they had didn't look to be in very good shape. Its tail was nasty like it's been nipped at or something. 2 other axies were in with it, in a large enough tank. they had their axies in 25C or 77F water with pebbles. they seem to neglect some of their animals. how bad does the axies tail look to you? only got the 2 pics.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 9.58.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 9.58.16 PM.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 9.57.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 9.57.55 PM.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 202

FX1C

Reaction score
That looks awful :( makes me so :mad:

Did you say something to them? I can't help but speak my mind when I see that kind of mistreatment - how big were the pebbles they were on?

Which pet shop / fish shop was it?
I say name & shame!

<3 >o_o< <3

net

Reaction score
it was at FISHTANK Aquarium, Castle Hill. What's it from? being nipped at?

Kerry M

Reaction score
Most likely that axie was bred by the major supplier, housed with 900 other axies in a huge tank and nibbled on since it was tiny. It probably doesn't have gills either. I am furious that an organisation is profiting from animal cruelty. It makes me cry when I see them in the pet shop. And the ignorant people in the pet shops actually buy them. I think this is morally outrageous. And, the sickest thing is when the staff say 'actually they are very popular, we sell so many of them'. Pity that so many of their customers aren't even aware that the axolotl is an amphibian that needs its gills. Sorry for the vent. I am angered by this each time I see a pic like this. As for the gravel, a few people have bought my axies after their pet shop ones died from gravel weeks after purchasing them. And they said that they bought gravel as the pet shop had it and they thought it was OK. I have highlighted to them that Caudata members have needed to report these issues to the RSPCA recently due to similar issues. I'm glad you took pictures and thanks for posting them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1