Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from SC, USA!

mattknepley

Reaction score
Hello all,

I found this forum trying to get an id on a caudate some friends and I turned up seining for fish in a tiny Athens, GA stream. I'll post that request in a more appropriate part of the forum.

As for my involvement with salamanders and newts, it is limited. As a kid I lived in a couple areas which had no shortage of red efts. We used to play with them after a good rain. I still am amazed by their bright colors, and the thought that they must have had a pretty good migration ahead of them to become aquatic newt adults. There wasn't any permanent water for a good long ways around. I have toyed with the idea of keeping tiger salamanders, but never followed through. I have a 55 gallon tank of native SC fishes, and would enjoy adding an eastern newt to it should I come across one.

I have a little more experience with anurans. I have successfully kept firebellied toads, dart frogs, and African dwarf frogs. I am also a volunteer surveyor for the North American Amphibian Monitoring Program.

But enough about me. I enjoy exploring this site and learning a lot!

Matt

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum! A word of caution; if you get one salamander......it won't stop there ;)

mattknepley

Reaction score
Thanks, Jan. The folks here have made me feel most welcome, and have "learnt" me a couple things already.

And I think you may be right. For my wife's sanity I might need to keep my appreciation in the field!;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!