All the babies in the plastic tubs died

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
TheAxolotlWhisperer
So I got sick for a few days and I wasn't able to do anything with the babies that were in my plastic tubs. When I finally got better I went to check on them and all of them were dead. There tub was full of daphnia and there water was perfect, but they still all died. I don't understand how they died. Also I tried a little "experiment" with about 10 of the eggs and put them in a naturalistic 40 gallon breeder tank. It's a very dirty looking tank with gunk on the bottom with wood and moss everywhere. In that tank there have been absolutely no deaths at all. They find the daphnia just fine even though its such a big tank. I'm almost convinced to just put the second batch of eggs I got and do the same thing with all of them.

What a shame no one helped look after them for you :(

Were you in hospital? Because no matter how sick I've been I never not been able to look after my animals or get someone to feed them & check water etc.

I'm sorry for your loss, though I wonder if it could've been prevented - by getting someone to help you.

It's understandable the ones in the dirty tank did well - they're "self raised" axolotls - my first one was self raised on snail eggs in a tiny tank.

<3 >o_o< <3

Presumably the gunky tank had films of cycle bacteria on all surfaces and any green growing stuff could be using ammonia. Plus they might be eating less and pooping less. If only a few in a relatively large volume that would help too. That's the way I would prefer to raise them, sometimes life gets busy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think water changes would have done anything being the actual water levels were all 0. I think I am going to try to raise them in the 40 gallon this time. I'll just use the tubs to make it easier to find the duds while they're in the eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back