Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Wierd looking poo

jdlqh8

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I had a quick question to see if anyone can help. I should preface this with these are not my axolotls! Mine have much better conditions! These are from the Saint Louis Science Center.

So this axolotl pooped this weird looking stuff. It seems to have a casing around it which is strange. The picture should be below.

The axolotl in question does have a fungus on his gills so I wad wondering if that had anything to do with the poop. (We are starting salt baths today)

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

uploadfromtaptalk1360787706224.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Nemesea

Reaction score
What are they fed on, as if they have mealworms it could be the skin of the mealworms as axolotls don't digest the skin too well.
and I don't think fungus would cause the poo to be different but I could be wrong. hope the little guy gets better soon.

jdlqh8

Reaction score
They are fed with the axolotl pellets from The Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center. Their diet hasn't changed in the past year or two either so I hope we would have seen somethings by now. I'm honestly not tooo worried about it since it only happened once, but I wanted to double check with this community first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1