Axies moving in together soon--tips?

AbysmalAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had two axolotls for about two months now. They have been living in separate Rubbermaid containers since I got them, as they were only about three inches long and I didn't want them to have the inclination to harm each other.
They are about five inches long now, and I have a tank ready and cycled. They'll probably move in with each other in a week or two.
I have a few questions about this:
- Are they still considered too young to interact? Should I wait longer?
- What would be the best method for moving them?
- I was thinking about letting them meet each other this weekend--move one into the other's tank for a little bit while observing them to see how they react to each other. Thoughts?
- If they do meet each other this week, what should/could I do if they started acting violently towards the other one?
Thanks for the help!

I'd like to learn about this too. I just got a juvenile axie and I'm going to have to wait until he/she is bigger to introduce it to my year-old axolotl. But i don't know how big it will have to be. I would think that if your two axies are similar in size and 3-4 inches, they should be OK together. I may consider getting a tank divider eventually so they can see and smell each other before they share space. But I will look forward to more info fromt eh more experienced axolotl people. Best of luck with your little ones!

Once you are happy with their new tank, I would just add them both at the same time. They will most likely ignore one another while they explore. When you feed them, it may be worth feeding each axolotl in different spots of the tank. Feeding time seems to be the time when they are most likely to nip. I wouldn't worry at all about introducing them to each other outside the tank. When you do add them to the tank, acclimatise their rubbermaid containers with the tank, and then gently add them. Keep a camera handy so we can see them and their new home :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back