Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Colours

AliM96

Reaction score
When do axolotl hatchlings begin to show their actual colours? How many days?

gfsward

Reaction score
It takes a while before you can REALLY see a lot of color difference. When they're babies you can extrapolate the color but it's not exact until they get bigger.
Here's some tips for the babies.
Try shining a light in their eyes to differentiate melanoids. The melanoids won't have a shiny ring around their eyes. The leucistcs are just white with the shining ring. Wild type are pretty easy because they're pretty green with obvious spots. Albinos eyes give them away and it's easy to differentiate a golden from a white albino just from skin color.
Hope this helps!

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
It really depends on the color.

However just prior to hatching you can tell Dark (wildtype/melanoid) from Light (leucistic/albinos)

To tell the diffrence between wildtype and melanoid you'll have to wait a couple of weeks, wildtypes will have a noticable spotting pattern, melanoids will have no to virtually no spotting at all and be a solid color.

To tell the lucy's from the other albinos is easy since they will have black spot eyes.
Telling the albinos apart from eachother is a little trickier and you usually need to wait a few more weeks.

As suggested you can shine a light on the eyes to see if you have an albino-melanoid.
the golden color of the xanthic will become evident pretty quickly too.

I you are looking to tell if any are GFP the best bet is dark room, I use a handheld black light I bought off ebay.
and I sort by first shining a light in the eyes, and then going back and resorting by shining a light on the belly. i've had a few that I mistook for non-gfp so now I use the belly trick.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1