Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Dividing a 40 long?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I just realized I have a 40 long aquarium ( I have been using it for hamsters so long lol)

I was wondering if there was a way to put in a dark solid acrylic wall siliconed in as a barrier and turn my one tank into two? I know multiple species of amphibians can not be housed together but I thought this may work so I can upgrade my cyanurus and get an axolotl.

Sawyer

Reaction score
I had pieces of glass cut to make a 55 gallon aquarium into a 3 part/3 species aquarium. I left about a 3 inch gap at the bottom and covered it with a mesh screen so that I could use 1 filter for the whole thing rather than 3 filters.

I just used aquarium silicone and it has held up perfectly and now the current newts are thoroughly enjoying their set up.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I did want two filters actually lol just so I can control EVERYTHING in the environment ... I want to divide it half and half one Axie and I want to add more Cyanurus after I upgrade

Sawyer

Reaction score
You can use the same method but have the pieces cut big enough to where there is no gap. I did this because all the newts I will be keeping generally need the same temps and so on. It was definitely a pre-planned idea.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the water level on the two sides will be different, the divider will need to be STRONG. It will also need to be secure all the way to the top to prevent the newts from climbing over.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
both sides will be aquatic newts and there shouldnt be much different if any in the water depth. Axolotls and Cyanurus ... Fill both about 3 inches from the top. Do you really think they will try climbing over? the little lip can make it hard to get a perfect fit. Its 1 ft wide by 1 ft tall

Sawyer

Reaction score
both sides will be aquatic newts and there shouldnt be much different if any in the water depth. Axolotls and Cyanurus ... Fill both about 3 inches from the top. Do you really think they will try climbing over? the little lip can make it hard to get a perfect fit. Its 1 ft wide by 1 ft tall

Similar to what Jennewt mentioned, it is imperative that you have each section 100% controlled. While you might never see them roaming about and they seem perfecting content, you'd be amazed at where you find your newts at 3 in the morning.

With mine I left a gap at the top of about 2 inches and also used a mesh to fill this space. My reasoning in doing so was because I wanted to maximize airflow throughout all 3 sections even though it has a mesh lid. Sometimes you just have to get a little creative.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
What's the smallest gap a newt can fit through? Just si I am COMPLETELY safe ...

Sawyer

Reaction score
What's the smallest gap a newt can fit through? Just si I am COMPLETELY safe ...

I'd say literally ANY gap. I once had a paddletail get through a hole the was slightly larger than the filter cord that ran through it. I was truly amazed, disappointed as well.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can't be an acrylic divider, it has to be glass, and then you can use silicone to attach it. You can do a higher version of what I did here.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Why does it have to be glass? Most tanks are made of Acrylic these days

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aquariums are usually glass. Acrylic tanks are expensive! And they scratch easily.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I don't believe my tank is glass ... Its pretty light for a glass tank. But why couldnt the divider be acrylic if its used in aquariums anyway?

Btw I always call aquarium sealant silicone

Sawyer

Reaction score
I don't believe my tank is glass ... Its pretty light for a glass tank. But why couldnt the divider be acrylic if its used in aquariums anyway?

Btw I always call aquarium sealant silicone

Go ahead and use acrylic then! Glass is standard for smaller tanks with a tempered glass bottom. I know of people who have made 250+ gallon tanks out of plexi glass. Your cheapest option will be glass. The divider should cost between $5-$10 and should be 1/4" glass to be safe (in my experience) At most all you would need would be aquarium safe silicone, mesh, and a cut of glass. Any questions beyond this point would just be personal opinion beyond what has been stated by several adequate newt keepers. Good luck and you've chosen some very newbie friendly species. I wish them and you well.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I just started to worry because I have never seen glass sheets anywhere and I can pick up material for dividers at Home depot.

Thanks I wanted something easy for a newbie so I would have less chance of seriously messing something up.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If it's really light, it might be reptile glass. A photo would probably help, especially of the corners.

Sawyer

Reaction score
I just started to worry because I have never seen glass sheets anywhere and I can pick up material for dividers at Home depot.

Thanks I wanted something easy for a newbie so I would have less chance of seriously messing something up.

You can get the custom pieces cut at most any hardware store.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
i have only ever lifted this tank so i am not sure how its weight compares maybe it just seems light to me. we have had this tank over 16 years and its always been a fish tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1