Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Super Weird sickness!! HELP!!!

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
My axie when i got home it was like yawning like open its mouth then closed it , but he's eating fine and swimming right will he be ok?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on him Jerome, but axies will do this from time to time :D If it continues let us know and add a photo so we can see.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Keep an eye on him Jerome, but axies will do this from time to time :D If it continues let us know and add a photo so we can see.

How do i add a photo yawning it was so fast, and it looks so very cute when it yawns did it choke on something?

Morrison

Reaction score
Well, axolotls do yawn sometimes. Pretty normal.
Unless it's very often...

SuperSteve

Reaction score
Yeah mine do it from time to time but all mine are still in perfect health. Don't worry about it.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Now he is shrinking gills what's happening it keeps doing it everynight time i think its sleepy?

Minniechild

Reaction score
Could you give us some info about your setup so we can spot if anything is not as it should be?

What is your substrate?
What is the temperature?
What is your Ammonia reading (drop test, not strip test as those are as useful as used toilet paper...)?
What is your nitrite reading?
What is your nitrate reading?
What is your pH reading?
What filtration is happening in your tank? (Canister, sponge, internal, hang over)
Are you using additional aeration?
Do you have live plants?
How many hides do you have?
What kind of lighting does the room get?

Whilst it may be nothing, it'd be a good idea to isolate if possible the cause of the gill shrinkage and yawning- although I catch my lot doing it quite frequently...Also caught the Giant Salamander at Ueno Zoo yawning whilst I was squee-ing over him :D Additionally, we may be able to give you some suggestions to improve your setup so your axie can live in the very best of health for years to come :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Jerome, it may be worth getting the water tested for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Also what are you feeding this axolotl?

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
i have no substrate for fear of impaction.
i gave them a cave.
i cant get a thermometer because its banned here.
i dont have an ammonia test kit (lost)
i feed them tubiflex worms , blood worms , guppies , nightcrawler , grasshopper(baby), mealworm(once in every 2 months).....
what's wrong? will it still regrow?
i knew there is too many ammonia because of floating so i changed their water and stiopped floating....
i do not have live plants nor plastic because it injured 2 of them last time (bleeding)...

Morrison

Reaction score
I don't really know about grasshoppers, but mealworms aren't good food. Axies can't really digest the exoskeletons.

FX1C

Reaction score
i have no substrate for fear of impaction.
i gave them a cave.
i cant get a thermometer because its banned here.
i dont have an ammonia test kit (lost)
i feed them tubiflex worms , blood worms , guppies , nightcrawler , grasshopper(baby), mealworm(once in every 2 months).....
what's wrong? will it still regrow?
i knew there is too many ammonia because of floating so i changed their water and stiopped floating....
i do not have live plants nor plastic because it injured 2 of them last time (bleeding)...

If thermometers are illegal - what about a digital thermometer? They are very accurate & not expensive. They don't contain mercury so are legal.

You need to have a test kit! You have had people here offer to send you one free & yet you still don't get it that you need to be testing the water.

Grasshoppers are not good food! Please just stick to the recommended foods listed on here.

Please start doing the right thing by your axolotl - you are constantly posting with problems only to be advised the same thing every time. It's not hard to keep them healthy.

- but you need to buy the basics -

• a freshwater master test kit
&
• a digital thermometer

Without those you are not going to be able to help keep your tank water & axolotls healthy.

<3 >o_o< <3

Olivia97

Reaction score
At the very least you should get an ammonia test kit. If not daily water changes should keep an established tank healthy. I don't think grasshoppers would be too bad for them on occasion though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1