Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sucks up sand when feeding

BoBo478

Reaction score
AxieHi, Im pretty new to keeping axols and have had one for approx a month now. When I first got him he was on aquarium gravel and after reading the danger of it i quivkly changed to "reptile sand" the sand is very fine and the bag says it is good to prevent scratches and is safe if ingested. But it doesnt appear if the sand was made for being underwater. Whenever I feed my axie it sucks up sand and the earthworms get sand on them when i drop them on the bottom. It looks like it breaths sand out after it eats a worm but it may just be sand moving from exhailing water. Is this bad for my axie?

xxianxx

Reaction score
I reduce sand consumption by feeding the axolotls with tongs or dropping their food onto a plate.

CJ21

Reaction score
I’m new to this site and not sure how helpful my advice would be but anyway. I have sand in my tank and its normal for them to get a mouthful of sand when they eat they will soon spit it out. Mine are over a year old and no problems with it :) but if you are worried you can have a clear bottom tank or feed with tongs. I wouldn’t go back to gravel it will do damage to them. hope this helps

FX1C

Reaction score
Reptile sand is not recommended -
It can be limestone based sand & mess with the tanks Ph.

Scroll half way down & it gives you a breakdown of all sand types.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml

Playsand is fine & safe. Reptile sand can be very sharp.

Mine suck in a lot of sand when they inhale their food - it gets flushed out when they close their mouths & I often see it coming out from behind the gills (all totally normal) most of the sand is eliminated while they eat & I've found very little in their poop. I do try & hand feed or use tongs for earthworms to avoid ingestion. I'm about to move mine into a 6'ft tank with a bare bottom - I've had them in a 4'ft bare bottomed temp tank & cleaning is much easier than trying to vacuum sand :) but I prefer the look of sand so I may crumble & put it in :eek: lol

<3 >o_o< <3

snuggly time

Reaction score
A lot of people who have sand use feeding jars or bowls to drop their food into. Less sand ingestion and also easier to clean up. :happy:

BoBo478

Reaction score
What is play sand and where would I find some? It seems hard to believe the reptile sand is dangerous, it seems more fine than most kinds of sand

FX1C

Reaction score
What is play sand and where would I find some? It seems hard to believe the reptile sand is dangerous, it seems more fine than most kinds of sand

Reptile sand is intended to stay dry, it's not meant to be submerged as it can be made from mineral rich limestone which will mess with Ph.

If you're not testing parameters regularly then you won't realise how it is reacting to the sand - so best avoided.

Playsand is a river sand & tends to be fine well rounded fine particles - it needs to be washed thoroughly (then rinsed again ... lol) & it will look wonderful & not be a risk for ingestion or impaction.

I believe the best place to look for it is a hardware store - sometimes in the children's area (sandpit sand). Someone located in the States can offer exact locations - sorry I'm in Australia & not familiar with the stores over there.

In the meantime remove your sand & leave the tank bare bottomed until you find the Playsand - I'd also test the water to see if it's been affected. :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

BoBo478

Reaction score
Ok I will switch to playsand then, since im moving it to a 30 gal anyways, any ideas on a color of sand that will make my gfp axolotl stand out more under a black light?

EmbryH

Reaction score
You can get a lot of cheap, good sand at Home Depot. It's good to use, except you have to thoroughly rinse it yourself, as well as check through to make sure there are no big pebbles.

The thing about sand is that, though axies can pass it, it could take months for all of the sand to completely pass through their system, which could eventually lead to problems (and I imagine it might be uncomfortable too) so I personally feed Godric in such a way that he doesn't eat the sand at all.

Don't drop the worms directly onto the sand; just dangle them in the water with your fingers until the axie grabs them. It's much better.

FX1C

Reaction score
Ok I will switch to playsand then, since im moving it to a 30 gal anyways, any ideas on a color of sand that will make my gfp axolotl stand out more under a black light?

How many times do you intend on subjecting your axolotl to black light?

I understand the novelty of having a GFP axolotl - but I don't think you understand how intense a black light fluoro can be especially to a small creature who has no eyelids. It is not recommended to shine black lights on any animal & prolonged exposure to UVA/UVB is best avoided.

Please rethink the whole black light idea - you wouldn't want a blind axolotl.

Lighter colour sands are easier to clean as you can see the poop / uneaten foods & siphon it them out before it loads up the filter. Playsand just tends to come in a light beachy colour - looks great with large rocks & plants :)

<3 >o_o< <3

BoBo478

Reaction score
I dont intend on keeping a black light on him, Although when people come over and im showing them my axol that glows under a blacklight I want it to glow the best it can. Thats the only time I really ever turn the blacklight on him. Also, is there anything that can make him glow more? Also, is there any way to make him glow more, he seems fairly dim under my blacklight I turn on it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1