HELP ! Axl gills are bad after new filter added to tank

Deezoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help! Axl gills look bad after new fitler.

Hi I posted a few days back about adding a fluvel filter to my 10 gal. tank. I added it wed. and left in the sponge filter too. Today, my my axl is not moving and his gills look awfeul. The feathering is almost gone. When I first added the filter I used to spray bar because it has the least water movement. But he looked aftraid of it and was swimming away from it. I fugured he didn't like the feel of the water flowing at him. (In hindsight, I forgot to position the filter so it would flow against the wall) So, it changed to setting so it flows out the top area, which creates more oxygen, but has a higher flow rate. I did turn it down to the lowest flow rate it could. It didn't look like the water was moving that much near the bottom of tank where he usually is. I turned off the fluvel filter now and left it in the tank. What should I do ? Will the gills improve in time? He ate yesterday, I didn't feed him today. I just wanted the water to be cleaner for him and now I made him suffer. I feel terrible. Please help. Denise

Take the filter out. How big is your tank?

Please post pictures of the tank setup
& your axolotls gills before & after.

Have you tested the water - what are the parameters & tank temperature?

Did you rinse the new filter thoroughly including rinsing out all cartridges & sponges before adding to the tank?
These are often full of dusts & plastic residue. Always recommend rinsing anything before adding it to the tank.

<3 >o_o< <3

Thanks for the replys. It is a 10 gallon tank. Yes, I did rinse all the filter pieces before I put it in. Temp is 60 - 62 F. I am not able to send pictures in, sorry. No, I have not tested the water. Where can I get one of the test kits? Online ? He did eat today, but still is sluggish, not moving much.

That's a pretty small tank to be running a filter on. How big is your axolotl? Adult axolotls generally don't move much. Too much activity is a sign of stress.

Test kits can be found online or at a reputable pet shop. Most folks here use the API Master Kit. It's around $35, but will last you forever.

He is about 9 inches, almost a year old. I have a sponge filter in the tank, but the water was still cloudy. I do suck out the waste when I see it and do partial water changes. I wanted to use this better filter to clean the water better. But I quess it is too much flow for him. Is there anything I can do for him? Will the gills get better in time? I will purchase the test kit, thanks.

Cloudy water is usually a sign of bacterial blooms in the tank. Get lots of live plants, and use the sponge filter. And if you have a substrate, get a siphon/vacuum for it. Siphon the bottom with every water change.

I don't have a substrate. I have 2 fake plants and 2 large stones. I do use a syphon when I do a water change. Can you have live plants without a substrate?

Sure! There are lots of plants that are either free-floating (like Elodea), or can be tied to decorations. Java moss is great for covering rocks.

Do you have any hides for your axie?

I don't have any hides. I wanted to add one, but was not sure what to use, plus the tank is not that big. If I get plants, is there anything you have to do before adding them to the tank?

He's probably stressed from not having any hides. There are a variety available, or you can make your own.

Plants should be rinsed with some salt water to help remove any nasties.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back