Is this normal? Please help'

EibmozJ

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey, I bought my Axolotl yesterday from a pet shop. I've never had one before and am very stressed about her appearance.
She is black, but her tail has white marks all over it, and I'm not sure if this is pigment or something to be concerned about. She also seems to have discoloration on the bottom of her stomach.
She seems to be moving around, but not in a frantic matter, however when I feed her she seemed disinterested in the food.
Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 208
First, you'll need to get that gravel out immediately. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

The spots look like they may be coloration. Is it raised or bumpy or anything?

First, you'll need to get that gravel out immediately. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

The spots look like they may be coloration. Is it raised or bumpy or anything?

It's not raised or bumpy.
I definateky will change to sand, the man at the pet shop assured me that the gravel was a better way to go, but I should have trusted my research.
Thank you.

The pet shops in Australia are notorious for that. One of my wild types has that colouration, and I've seen a few aussies with axies like that. It think it could also be a build up of their slime coat. Of course, if your axie's condition deteriorates then please don't hesitate to ask for additional help. I'd just like to ask a few questions, do you have a water testing kit and what do you plan to feed your little lotl' ? :D

Rule #1: never trust the pet shop. They're almost always terrible; they just want to sell you stuff.

I've seen a couple axolotls recently with similar coloration, so unless you notice it changing, I wouldn't be alarmed.

Great, thank you so much guys! I will keep a close eye on her and make sure to change those stones!

The pet shops in Australia are notorious for that. One of my wild types has that colouration, and I've seen a few aussies with axies like that. It think it could also be a build up of their slime coat. Of course, if your axie's condition deteriorates then please don't hesitate to ask for additional help. I'd just like to ask a few questions, do you have a water testing kit and what do you plan to feed your little lotl' ? :D

Sorry, I never answered your questions.
I do not have a water testing kit at this time, but am definitely going to invest. I have been feeding my lotl frozen bloodworms and spinach blocks that was recommended by the pet shop assistant.

I do not have a water testing kit at this time, but am definitely going to invest. I have been feeding my lotl frozen bloodworms and spinach blocks that was recommended by the pet shop assistant.

Testing your water is essential while you are learning to balance & cycle your tank.

Once again pet shops like to sell you things & not give free advice (that's why we're here! Earthworms are the best you can feed & you can get a box of 500 / 1000 worms at bunnings & start a worm farm - then you'll have an abundant supply of worms for free :)
Or if your garden is pesticide free you could try & dig some up or attract them to the surface with damp newspaper it carpet.

<3 >o_o< <3

Haven't heard of anyone giving spinach before ..... Doesn't sound that great, as Nikki says, Earthworms are the go and readily available, bloodworms are also Ok but will dirty your water if not removed quickly - only leave in for around 5 mins.

Best test kit to get is the Master Kit (liquid droplet tests), I think most go with the API brand and they are accurate, just make sure the use by date is Ok.

Lastly, I had an Axie with those same markings some time ago, I didn't know anything at all back then and caused him a lot of stress unnecessarily by salt bathing him constantly to get rid of it - turned out the marks were fine and my poor baby got very sick cause I did the wrong thing. It sure looks like the same markings so if he seems well otherwise, I'd just leave him be ..... :happy:

The food is a turtle/axolotl mix according to the box. Apparently feeding them only protein can lead to "hole in the brain" according to the assistant- unfortunately I was in no position to argue and went with what he told me. I will change to worms though. I'm not going to do anything drastic (salt baths and fridge) as of yet as she seems to be pretty active and healthy otherwise. I think I'm just being a nervous Mum. Thank you for the advice on the test kits!

The food is a turtle/axolotl mix according to the box. Apparently feeding them only protein can lead to "hole in the brain" according to the assistant- unfortunately I was in no position to argue and went with what he told me. I will change to worms though. I'm not going to do anything drastic (salt baths and fridge) as of yet as she seems to be pretty active and healthy otherwise. I think I'm just being a nervous Mum. Thank you for the advice on the test kits!

You're welcome for the advice anytime :happy:

Be wary of what they tell @ the pet shop, they just want to make a sale and will tell you all sorts of rubbish. I always ask someone on here first now and they are always willing to help and you can trust them (most have had Axies for years and/or breed them).

Good luck with your baby and put some more pics up from time to time, we love pics :D

A hole in the brain??? Thats a load of nonsense... I've fed mine on nothing but protein and they're perfect. Earthworms, maggots and mealworms. She looks fine to me. There have been a few people asking about white patches on their wild types on the forum and it mostly just looks like it's natural colour changing.

Have to agree there, hole in the brain doesnt sound right. I had oscars for 10 yrs and they got hole in their head from a total protien diet (which could kill them) Had to balance the meat and pellet diet. But i think axies are a different make up being cold water

:D oh thats the cutest face too. btw

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back