What would you recommend for sand in a axie tank?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So im getting my tank set up for a set of two axies and i dont know what is the best substrate(other then bare bottom) to use. Ive done quite a lot of research and it seems like silica sand is the safest to use, however ive gone everywhere and asked everyone and cant find any. Does anybody recommend a specific sand/ know where to get it? My petsmart has nothing, nor petculture, walmart, kent, canadian tire.

Go to a home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot and buy a bag of play sand. It's super cheap and works very well. Doesnt matter what brand as long as there are no addatives to it, such as color.

Do you have a pool/hot tub store? Check there for silica :) great stuff, silica is!! Might be called pool filter sand.

I actually came home today to a bag of sillica sand! Haha very random apparently my boyfriends dad had some all along 'note to self ask everyone first' -.-

Thanks for replying :) i will ovbviously still need to get more one day because it isnt a ton of it but it will set up my tank and that will do for now :)

I believe the rule is <1" of sand. Otherwise gases build up and cannot escape, and then you have to stir up the sand. Personally, if you want to avoid sand-stirring, I would use 1/2" max. Glad to hear you got silica! You're going to love it!!

Okay thanks a lot! I will keep that in mind when i set up the tank

Everyone is so helpful here :)
I am completely new at this and ive learned so much by just reading these forums and asking questions.

Im hopefully going to get my two juveniles next week 'crosses fingers' im so excited!

I love CaribSea... they have a Dealer Locater button on their site and it lists Canada so you should be able to find a deal of it up there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back