Advice please

Complex

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello,

I'm unknown to most of you but that isnot the point.
Ive recently discovered a batch of Axolotl eggs in my tank. now I'd like to raise a few of them. i'll be going ot the store tomorrow buying whatever i need to buy, so herez my question.

I'll seperate the eggs,
do they need an air pump or filter in their seprate tank?
The eggs at are still... well eggs, when, and what do i feed them?

thanks a bunch for the help guys, bred a wildtype female and leucistic male, will keep ya posted!

xx

I would put an air hose in the tank set on low, also get some brine shrimp and make/buy a hatchery. When the baby's hatch they won't eat until the yolk (you can see it in their bellies) is nearly gone. When the eggs hatch i would take the empty eggs out of the tank tho. You dont need a filter. Hope to hear you have healthy babies soon.

Some tupperware-like containers are great to hatch babies in- quick for water changes (which you'll need to do at least once a day and after every brine shrimp feeding), and usually stackable for when you end up surrounded by babies (Which you will- they will definitely need to be separated out as they get older :p.
Next, a turkey baster and a plastic pippette- baster for moving hatchlings and cleaning up large gunk, pippette for harvesting shrimp, feeding shrimp, harvesting and feeding blackworms and getting gunk out of small places.
Also, a net for when they get bigger- one that can get into corners, isn't too fine so that the gunk can be washed out, but is fine enough that tiny legs and gills can't get caught- It took me a while to find the perfect one (it was on a completely different continent), so get a few and experiment.
When they get a bit older (2-4cm, depending on your axies), perhaps add some live dapnia and blackworms into their diet-it's hillarous to watch them happily munch on worms which are as long as they are :)
Also, consider getting some java moss or duckweed to float in the top of the boxes so you have a way to control your ammonia and provide additional aeration.

Okay... in the mean time the eggs hatched and i'm raising about 15 baby axolotls atm (wanted to start off with very little since its my first time).
Now this morning check the tank of the parents and BAM. theres new eggs in there already. is this normal/common/possible? or does my couple just love eachother very very very much... puberty style?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back