Question: Soon to be new Axolotl owner! Few more questions....

inukawaii

Reaction score
Country
United States
After searching over a month for a new type of pet, I stumbled upon the axolotls. I did a lot of research online and I decided to get one! I want to make sure I am ready for my new axolotl.

Little about me… I am a college student. I have had fish all my life and currently have a funny color changing Betta. I have had him almost a year and he lives in his own 2.5 gallon tank. My new pet cannot be anything with fur or can that live outside a tank…because my apartment will not allow them. So, an axolotl seems perfect. I also lived in Japan in high school and one of my good friends had an axolotl. (ウーパールーパー anyone?)

These are my major final questions/checks before I order my axolotl….
1) I bought a new 10 gallon tank, filled it with sand and water. I also added some of my fish’s declorinator. The filter is from my old fish tank (cleaned toughly) and it is currently on its lowest setting. I bought a terra cotta pot and sanded down the rough edges for a little cave. Fake plants will be added soon. Anything else I need for the set up? Any further suggestions?

2) I looked around online for a place to buy an axolotl. None of the pet stores knew exactly what an axolotl was except the local store and they do not sell any, nor did they know any breeders in the area. I looked at buy-axolotl.com and they seemed very expensive. ($70 to ship?!) I found "theaxolotl" and contacted them about buying a melanoid axolotl. They replied quickly and said they will have some in about a week. $35 to ship and $20 for the axolotl. Is that a good price? Has anyone bought from "theaxolotl"? Any other recommendations?

3) My mother is also excited for her new grand-axolotl. He will be living in our basement over the summer….So this means the axolotl will be moving. Any suggestions for moving one? This is something I did consider in a new pet…axolotls do not need a heater and do breathe air, so I thought it would be easier pet to move every 3-4 months. I live an hour from my parents and I already take my fish home over breaks. (He rides shotgun in my car)

4) Any more tips for a newbie?

Sorry of the rant, I’m super excited for my new pet and I want to be prepared.

First, welcome to the forum, you will find a wealth of information on this site and it should be the first place to look for information on our wonderful Axolotl’s.
A ten gallon tank would be the minimum size for an Axie; sand is acceptable as a substrate as it is fine enough to pass through their digestive system without blockage. I personally don’t like sand, so I spread a layer of silicone then spread a thick layer of river grade rock/gravel and press it down firmly. I let the silicone cure for a few days and then turned it over to remove the loose rocks. The result was a layer of well anchored gravel that will give them some footing and can’t be ingested.
To procure your new friend, I wouldn’t look outside of this site. If you go to the bottom of the forum page, you will find the For Sale in USA section. You will find members who have juveniles for sale. Shipping on average will run about $35, depending on what type you want the price will vary from $10-$45. If you wish, I can give you the names of the members that I purchased my Axies.
If you only live an hour away from home, moving your Axie shouldn’t be a problem. I would put it in a plastic storage container with enough water to cover it and keep it cool. Basements are good places in the summertime, being cooler than the rest of the house. Good luck with your new Axie. :happy:

Thank you both!
Yes, could you please send me the name of whom you bought your axies from.
I have some blood worms already frozen in the fridge...I'll have to get some earthworms.
That thread on moving axolotls was perfect. Thank you :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back