My adult hasn't eaten in a week.

Elafacwen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 13 inch melanoid that was moved to a new 20 gallon aquarium a week ago today. Turing the transfer, he fell onto the ground, and was pretty stressed for a few days.

Since the transfer, he has refused to eat. His typical diet is the soft sinking salmon pellets, but he will only eat one, then ignore the rest that bounce off his head. I also bought him a small school of feeder guppies, a cherry shrimp couple, and a small family of ghost shrimp for his dining pleasure. I even threw in a betta fish...

The only thing that has happened is the ghost shrimp are now pregnant and the betta is fat off of salmon pellets.
I do not have access to earth worms during this time of year. However, Wal-Mart sells night crawlers, but I was told to stay away from those for feeding purposes.

Any suggestions?

Why were you told to stay away from the night crawlers?

Could you post a picture of your Axolotl?

Thanks

Night crawlers are all go if you ask me. As said pictures would help but it's probably down to the stress of 1. The change of environment and 2. The fact he's been through some trauma due to being dropped. A week isn't a terribly long time for them not to eat properly after such an experience. Keep an eye on his weight and try getting some of the night crawlers in his diet. The 'wiggle factor' may just be enough to kick his responses back into gear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back