Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What can i put in the tank as a hide?

net

Reaction score
Besides terracotta pots... or how can i make one? what have you got?

SuperSteve

Reaction score
It's not the most decorative but I have a couple of pipes in there for em to swim through. They seem to like it. Especially if you prop them up a bit.

Minniechild

Reaction score
I've got a mug, a few commercial decorations (including an open mouthed shark which they LOVE to sit in...), the aforementioned pipes (PVC- safe for drinking water), which are then hidden under some massive rocks, and finally a few driftwood pieces. If you have access to a heat gun, you can mould the PVC into branches and other formations- I've currently got some in my guppy pond to test that the paint I've used is not going to leech out and kill anyone (so far so good!)

Kool Katoni

Reaction score
My axolotls never seem to appreciate the hides i make for them and tend to dig their own lol. I have bits of wood they like to tunnel under, in the past i've used tank ornaments. I had a tardis at one point but they outgrew it :(.

ArdyBay

Reaction score
My axolotls never seem to appreciate the hides i make for them and tend to dig their own lol. I have bits of wood they like to tunnel under, in the past i've used tank ornaments. I had a tardis at one point but they outgrew it :(.

I seriously need to make a Tardis hide now.

EmbryH

Reaction score
You can find little huts or rock holes in petshops and aquarium stores. I prefer to get something that looks mostly natural.

snuggly time

Reaction score
I use 2 bridges I bought from a pet shop, I've put some rocks in front of them now to make it darker.

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 1,040

SuperSteve

Reaction score
I use 2 bridges I bought from a pet shop, I've put some rocks in front of them now to make it darker.

I have that bridge ornament and your tank and stand are exactly the same as mine. 3 ft?
Those bridges are perfect except when dood gets lost under it.

snuggly time

Reaction score
I have that bridge ornament and your tank and stand are exactly the same as mine. 3 ft?
Those bridges are perfect except when dood gets lost under it.

Yeah, it's 3 ft, bought it second hand from gum tree :D
My axolotl loves to walk over the bridge nearest the back of the tank lol :wacko:

Morrison

Reaction score
I used coconut hides. But in the end they start to get 'ewww'. So I don't use them anymore. (Or as a temporary 'emergency hide')

I make most of my hides by glueing rocks together. And I also buy those reptile cave hide thingies. They LOOOOVE it. I also have a little beehive looking thing (which is not a beehive looking thing but that's what I call it)

Another thing I make once in a while (for juvies. Adults are too fat to fit through the opening. Well, my females are...).
When I have some of these things (don't know what they're called right now) left, I put them upside down in the tank and glue some rocks on it.
1.114.23-001.jpg

Oh, hamsters love it too.
(And they love to DESTROY it!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1