Axie has no toes :(

Jacobcameron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My axolotl is about two years old, he eats well and seems to be perfectly normal. He is in a 20 gallon long tank on his own. The problem is he has no toes on his front feet just like a little ball. And on his rear legs he has what looks like toes but they are all stuck together instead of spread apart. Any help please ?

Could you add a photo please? Have they always been like this and how long have you owned him?

Do you have another axie in the tank that might have bitten the toes off? They usually grow back then. Not always perfectly though. I had an axie with toes clumped together. My other axie has a toe on top of another toe. Just to name a couple of weird regenerations. As long as your axie is moving fine I wouldn't worry that much about it.

He is on his own in the tank so they havent been bitten off. He is away hiding in his gave but i will upload a picture tomorrow thanks for the help guys he can still use his legs to walk its just a bit strange he has no toes.

I'm my axolotl's third owner (that I know of)
I've had my 2 for almost 4 months.
When they first came to me, neither had 'perfect feet'.
In 4 months, they now have 2/8 perfect feet (one each) due to their amazing regenerational abilities/adaptations. The other 6 feet have not changed since that day I got them (so I highly doubt that they are nibbling each other's toes off).

To name a name a few imperfections, one foot has 2 toes only, another foot has 7 with one toe at 90 degrees to the others.

So I wouldn't worry about it :D

I hope my post makes sense, cause I tend to waffle (umm...waffles :lick:) when I can't perfectly describe what I mean. Also, it's not helping is that it's 12.34am here and I need sleep.

Hey guys thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated!, Here is a photo of the rear and front legs they all look like this.

Attachments

• front leg.jpg
    front leg.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 866
  • rear leg.jpg
    rear leg.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 725
Sorry, looks like you missed my last question :)

Have they always been like this and how long have you owned him?

Oh sorry, I have had him since he was four weeks old and he is about two years old now. His toes used to fine that's why I'm worried it almost seemed to have happened overnight.

How odd :confused:
Do you keep any other living thing in the tank? Is there anything that may be trapping his feet?

Do you use tap water and would you know your ph?

Last edited:
There is no other living animal in his tank at all. I wouldnt know the ph just now but i do water changes regulary and he has lived just fine in the tank for two years.

Oh and i do use tap water but i always treat it with a solution to make it safe for aquatic animals

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back