Had enough, cut the babies out of their eggs.

karipatra

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, after 3 babies hatching, no one else hatching for the last 10 days, then numerous starting to die in egg, losing 15, I decided to take the drastic measure of cutting the babies out of their eggs yesterday. :/

Managed to get everyone out, even the one that was starting to go gray and fuzzy in the egg. One, probably that one, is on it's side, but keep going upright occasionally, so going to let it fight the good fight and see if it makes it.

Decided after feeding my older 3 today that I would just let the new 10 have a go with the bbs. Wasn't expecting anything to happen since they are only 24 hours old, but EVERYONE ATE. :eek:

Very glad I got them out when I did, as it almost seems like they were possibly starving to death in their eggs! :/

Glad they're eating! I had the same thing a while ago. I had a large batch of axie eggs from someone who wanted to get rid of it. They pretty much all died. But there were 5 left. One hatched, the others were still in their eggs for days after that. So I opened their eggs, gave them BBS and a day later I noticed round orange bellies :D
Thank god I had BBS ready that day.

aawww :(

I had that same problem. Now I just do the same thing with every clutch.
Once babies start to hatch I give the rest about 3 days, those that aren't done hatching get turkey basted lol

I slowly suck the egg up in the turkey baster and push it back out. and the baby usually pops right out of the egg. I then suck up the empty egg case and dispose of it, and go to the next egg.

I had to cut my babies out too.Then they wouldn't eat for like, 5 days.
It's pretty stressful. Glad it's working out for you! Best of luck!

Hey all!

Everyone, with the exception of the one that was already going bad in the egg (it died), is doing very well! Eating like gang busters and getting a wee bit aggressive as well! :eek: LOL

So 12 babies, and I have homes for all of them.

Thanks again for all the help and advice! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back