How big before they can go in a tank?

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, I have 8 Axolotls. So far I've been keeping them in separate cups and containers because they are about 2-2.5 inches ( My biggest Leusistic is 2.5 for some reason my 2 wild types are the smallest) I just wanted to know how long can it be until they can go into a tank? How big should they be? I was thinking I would add them all to a five gallon tank next week until the grow big enough for a ten and so forth.

A five isn't big enough for that many 2-2.5 inchers without a lot of nipping. With At the rate they grow at, a ten wouldn't last long either. You'd best keep them in tubs until they're about five or six inches if you intend for them to all live together. How do you intend to house 8 adult axolotls?

Right now I keep my 6 juvies(2 7/8"-3+hair") in their own 12"x9" containers. Those containers should last until 5-6" in length when you can put them together, if you do enough water changes. (Dollarama, $2 each.. fantastic!)

A five isn't big enough for that many 2-2.5 inchers without a lot of nipping. With At the rate they grow at, a ten wouldn't last long either. You'd best keep them in tubs until they're about five or six inches if you intend for them to all live together. How do you intend to house 8 adult axolotls?

Wow, that's gonna be awhile then. I plan to keep them in a 100g tank. :) Maybe 120 if I can find it but that's a bit in the future. Or one of those big huge plastic pond like tubs with a floating alligator head to scare off children ...MWUHAHAHAHAHA. (I'm talking about this -> Outdoor Water Solutions | Floating Alligator Airstone Marker | Home Depot Canada ) Since I'll be keeping them in my grandma's dimly lit basement....I think this is gonna be the best. I have a 90g that I'm picking up this thursday but that's for my goldfish since the axies are still too small. LOL I'm all for the fake alligator head now even if it goes into my backyard pond XD :p

Wow I wouldn't wait that long! I've had my first 2 axies in a tank together since they were 4 inches long and before that they were living together. As long as they have sufficient space to swim/walk around and a constant supply of food they should be ok. Watch them for a while until your comfortable with it and remember when picking a tank, it's more important to have more length than height. Even if they do nip at each other occasionally they won't do too much damage to each other. Leaving them in an undecorated plastic tub for a year is insane bordering on cruel.

Wow I wouldn't wait that long! I've had my first 2 axies in a tank together since they were 4 inches long and before that they were living together. As long as they have sufficient space to swim/walk around and a constant supply of food they should be ok. Watch them for a while until your comfortable with it and remember when picking a tank, it's more important to have more length than height. Even if they do nip at each other occasionally they won't do too much damage to each other. Leaving them in an undecorated plastic tub for a year is insane bordering on cruel.

A year to get that big? My guys are growing exponentially and they're ~3" a piece... they're only 9 weeks today! I can't imagine it'd take them a year to grow to a size of 5-6"! As long as they have enough space to go about exploring, I don't see how that would be cruel? This prevents any injuries as they're still quite prone to biting each other at that age/size (2-2.5"). Keep in mind, biting/nipping depends on axie personality, as well.

Axolotls do grow much faster than you think! Of course they grow at different rates, which is why it's good to keep them separate. Expect by 6 months old they could be 6 inches, if not 7. Which is why it makes no sense to do a lot of changing of tank sizes and such, since they grow so fast!

Also, Steve, many members on here use plastic tubs. Some even use undecorated plastic tubs for an axolotl's entire life. There is nothing wrong with that. Tubs are the easiest to clean, and axolotls aren't so needy as to require enrichment.

Good point, mine grew past 4 inches a lot quicker too. No idea why I said a year :confused:

esn- Isn't one of the axolotls basic requirements a hiding place? If so, how could an axolotl be entirely happy in a clear plastic tub with no dark places to retreat to?

esn- Isn't one of the axolotls basic requirements a hiding place? If so, how could an axolotl be entirely happy in a clear plastic tub with no dark places to retreat to?

Others may do it differently, but when I had one of mine in a storage container he was stored in a cool, dark place. I only brought him out to check on him, feed, and do water changes. A hide wasn't necessary.

Mine were born sometime around December ....they are 3 inches now. So about an inch a month?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back