Illness/Sickness: URGENT: I need advice; weird fungus and she's not getting better...

axilover26

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed my axolotl's tail one day had it's tip ripped off, at first I thought another one nipped at her but then I found the chunk of tail floating around the tank so I'm not sure if she ripped it on something but it was pretty bad. I noticed a fungus and immediately put her in the fridge and wrapped her in a towel like advised. the next day i started salt baths with aquarium salt and continued to leave her in the fridge but i came home today and she had some white cottony stuff similiar to the fungus stuck in her mouth. My boyfriend examined it and pulled it out (though i wish he let me get a picture first so i could show you) and said it looked like a decayed fish and i'm hoping maybe she just threw it up. since i've come home i've kept her under observation and she's continuously rolling.she did it for a few minutes and it now resting calmly in her bin but she is looking so much worst...

She went from white and plump so super skinny and there's red what looks like veins visible throughout her body...

she wont eat and it's been like this for about a week to a week and a half with no good results.

Please help...!

Attachments

• sd.jpg
    sd.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 393
  • goldeaan.jpg
    goldeaan.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 453
  • goldean.jpg
    goldean.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 491
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 233
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 494
Also i'e been an axolotl lover for 4 years now. i've had many and i've seen a lot of different problems but not this!

I did water tests for her isolation container here's what i got:
KH is 0
GH is 0
PH is 6.5
NO2 is 0
NO3 is 0
Ammonia is 0.5

She keeps spitting stuff out. I did throw some freeze dried meal worms in the tank a few days ago for the feeder fish i'm wondering if maybe she's just spitting up some of the shells from it?

She gets a salt bath 2-3 times a day with aquarium salt from the store. it's a 3 teaspoon per liter mixture for 10-15 minutes each time. also she is isolated in the fridge.

Attachments

• ew.jpg
    ew.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 586
  • eww.jpg
    eww.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 339
If she's still in the fridge it's probably the temperature causing her to regurgitate. Take her out and keep her container somewhere cool. Although fridging aids healing, it's not necessary. Get her some earthworms if you can, failing that bloodworm. Waxworms are great for weight gaining as they're nice and fatty. Lower her water level so it's deep enough to fully submerge her but shallow enough to keep her upright with her feet on the base. Floating and 'rolling' can cause further stress. I'd also cut back on the salt baths to once a day or approx every 12 hours. :)

I did water tests for her isolation container here's what i got:
KH is 0
GH is 0
PH is 6.5
NO2 is 0
NO3 is 0
Ammonia is 0.5

She keeps spitting stuff out. I did throw some freeze dried meal worms in the tank a few days ago for the feeder fish i'm wondering if maybe she's just spitting up some of the shells from it?

She gets a salt bath 2-3 times a day with aquarium salt from the store. it's a 3 teaspoon per liter mixture for 10-15 minutes each time. also she is isolated in the fridge.

whats the water permeters of the tank with her mates in as like said on chat the other day we need to eliminate stress been caused by an ammonia spike

It's a 30 gallon, with two other axolotls one about a half inch bigger the other about the same size.

Okay well it's very hot in my apartment I don't exactly have a cool place but i can't leave her in the fridge she won't eat and she's looking so bad :\

How about a cool box? Ice packs on the bottom. Towel on top of ice packs, axie in a plastic tub on top of the towel, lid on top of the cool box but slightly open. Not as cool as the fridge but no high temps as well. Saved my little babies because I've had a bad fridging experience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back