Rapid gulping and floating

eyestooawake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I am new to owning an axolotl and he has started to rise to the surface a rapidly gulp air. It's almost like he is actively trying to stay at the surface of the water. I have attached three pictures for reference. I don't know if I am freaking out for no reason or not. I'm like a first time mom with a new baby.

Attachments

• axi1.jpg
    axi1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 190
  • axi2.jpg
    axi2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 183
  • axi3.jpg
    axi3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 172
Oh, I forgot to say that I tested the water with my API master kit and ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite were all at 0 and the pH is at 7.6.

Hi. What temperature is your tank at? Is your filter creating a lot of flow? How long have you had your animal?

Personally, I'm not sure that you've got an axolotl. It looks a lot like a tiger salamander larva to me. Could you upload a good profile picture of it?

This is our care sheet on axolotls, if you haven't read it, please do.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl

Also look through this site
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

IF we find out that your axolotl is actually a tiger salamander, please become familiar with this caresheet, as it will need drastically different care than an axolotl once it reaches adulthood.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

I have read the care sheet already and have read the axolotl.org website fairly well. The temperature is 19 degress C and the filter is low-flow. It is made to disperse water over the surface rather than down into the tank. I have had him/her for over 2 weeks now and to be honest I have been thinking he might be a tiger too but the man who sold him to me said he was an axolotl and seemed fairly positive but it was at the mall so I doubt his credibility...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 183
Ok well thank you. Now I can be prepared for when he grows up and changes. I'll make sure to have a plan in place for converting the tank. Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back