Illness/Sickness: My axolotl hasnt eaten in weeks..

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of mine passed away two months ago starving herself and now this one is heading down the same road, ive tried fridging forcefeeding all different types of foods from worms to bloodworms pellets everything and nothing , i have a theory but i want to know what type of side effects it might have , im thinking of raising the temperature to 75 degrees slowly to see if it.might trigger his digestive system and hunger , i remember one time the power went out at my old house and the temperature rose, i had to separate them of how much they were snapping at each other and were very hungry and agressive , luckly it was.for a day and the power came back and they were back to normal , has anyone tested this method before for non eating axys?

What are the water parameters & your usual tank temperature?

What do you normally feed?

I'm not sure heating the tank is a good idea - heaters are notorious for not being accurate & malfunctioning when that's the last thing you want :eek:

Post a picture of your tank & some of your lotl - it can help to diagnose a little easier

<3 >o_o< <3

I don't suggest heating a tank however, whenever I've rehomed underweight axolotls I put them in tubs 1. for quarantine and 2. to fatten them up. I purposefully put them in a room slightly warmer than my tank room. Why? You know why! They eat more at higher temps :p. For example my tank rooms usually at a steady 18-20 degrees whereas the room I put them in would be around 22. Obviously don't go overboard with the heat (over 25) as too much is not good, but a slight raise can work wonders if you ask me. (Temporarily and if you really need to!) I have not once hurt, worsened ones health or lost an axie (last thing I'd ever want to do!) using this method and I use it because I want to get some skin on those bones! I think if you're willing to move him to a warmer room for a while it's worth a shot. I'm not saying it's fail proof but if you're out of ideas...why not?

I had a baby axie, the smallest of 13 that I bought as a job lot (eBay!). It didn't grow much and became really tiny compared to the others. It was just at the getting back legs stage and stayed there. The temperature in the tanks in my porch is 16 to 18 degrees. I kept him on his own and moved his tank into the lounge where it was at 22 degrees and fed him daphnia and white worms until he was able to manage bloodworm like the others. In a couple of months he has caught up with the others and is back in the porch and moved onto eating earthworms at the same time as the others. He is actually not the smallest any more!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back