Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Palmate newts question?

Pokadile

Reaction score
Is it legal to take wild palmate newt spawn with no newts around and take them home and rear them outside and let them free and away from a puddle that's drying up

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I may be remembering wrong, but i think it is legal. It´s not, however, something i would recommend and although i can´t remember, it may well be illegal to release them.
I understand you want to help, and this seems like a good way of doing it, but it could be problematic and it won´t necessarily produce any benefits. By taking them home you might expose them to pathogens which would then be released.
Personally i would encourage you to do something about the drying pond, if at all possible, or perhaps create new habitats. That´s the best help of all. Moving animals around is not ideal...

Also, i know it seems somewhat crash, but being explosive breeders, newts are very good at recovering from bad years. If this one puddle is drying up this year, it´s hugely unlikely to make any significant impact on local newt numbers.

levinas

Reaction score
In the UK its not illegal to move raise or release Palmate newts, they are just protected from sale and trade.

Pokadile

Reaction score
Ok thanks.i went to the woods today and because of low temperatures in southwest it was frozen over.i looked to see in this tiny puddle and only a few bits of spawn remained were I first saw the newts.i decided to look in the car for something to take them home in.i took a small group home and are now in the pot I collected them in.i am going to look after them until it gets warmer(than 0 celsius ) and then I'm going to buy a tank for them to grow in - is this ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1