Question: Albino/leucistic parents but babies are different colors

B3llaax3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out what types my baby axies are going to be. Is it too soon to tell? They're almost 2inches. The mother is albino and the father is leucitic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,096
Re: Albino/leucitic parents but babies are different colors

Here are two others that are also in the same batch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,737

Two others that I found...

Sorry for some reason it's not letting me post the all in one post :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 506

All of these ? :)

Yes, all of them.

Unless your albino is recessive for leucism, and/or your leucistic is recessive for albino, all of your offspring will be wildtype. All will be recessive for both leucism and albinism. So if you breed siblings to each other, you will probably get a variety of colors.

If both parents are recessive for melanoid, 25% of your offspring will be melanoid, but I don't see any obvious melanoids out of these.

Yes, all of them.

Unless your albino is recessive for leucism, and/or your leucistic is recessive for albino, all of your offspring will be wildtype. All will be recessive for both leucism and albinism. So if you breed siblings to each other, you will probably get a variety of colors.

If both parents are recessive for melanoid, 25% of your offspring will be melanoid, but I don't see any obvious melanoids out of these.

Thank you so much... There are however a few blackish grey one in this batch but not sure if that's a Wildtype or melanoid a?

Also if I inbreed the offspring together will there be any defects in their offspring?

Thank you so much... There are however a few blackish grey one in this batch but not sure if that's a Wildtype or melanoid a?

Also if I inbreed the offspring together will there be any defects in their offspring?

Though I have a huge distaste of inbreeding, a line breeding would be less "icky".
meaning breed a baby back to one of the parents. with the babies only getting half of the genetic material from a parent that allows for less possiblity of two siblings who could share more genetic material, causing an increase in possible defects.

However if you chose to do an inbreeding with a pair of the siblings it's extremely unlikely that you would have any birth defects(unless defects were already present in the genetics), as long as you only did it one generation. and bred any offspring you hold back to keep to unrelated animals.

Thanks. No I wasn't going to inbreed them I was just wondering in case that ever did happen Because I'm thinking of keeping a few of them and but ill separate the males and females once I know which one is which.

Good project. ;)
But the 4 firsts on the pics seem really melanoid to me. That would imply that both parents are recessive for melanism. If you don't see any leucistic, your albino female is not recessive for leucistism, and if you don't see any albino, your leucistic male is not recessive for albinism.
In the batch, some will be het leuc, het alb, het melano, melano, but you won't know until they breed.
Good luck :D

Good project. ;)
But the 4 firsts on the pics seem really melanoid to me. That would imply that both parents are recessive for melanism. If you don't see any leucistic, your albino female is not recessive for leucistism, and if you don't see any albino, your leucistic male is not recessive for albinism.
In the batch, some will be het leuc, het alb, het melano, melano, but you won't know until they breed.
Good luck :D

That just made my night lol I mean I see maybe a few albino in there but mostly Wildtype and a few melanoids.. They are about 2 1/2 inches...

My hatchlings however, I'm seeing a lot of albinos but they're still less then an inch big, I think it's too soon to tell what I'll get in that batch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back