Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello 'm Sam , a new Axalotl keeper

samaxie41

Reaction score
I have created an account in this forum as i am only 14 years old and figured a lot more experienced people will keep axies? My axalotl is called sally and it is a blackish grey that i think may be ill, well anyway thank you for reading this short introduction and hope you all could help me :) thanks.:D

Jen10s

Reaction score
Hi Sam, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that Sally is not well, what is she doing that makes you think that? Can you add a picture of her so we can see what the problem might be ?

Have you tested your water for Ammonia / Nitrites and Nitrates ?
What kind of stuff is on the floor of the tank (sand or nothing) ?
Do you have any plants ?
Do you know what temperature the water is ?

Sorry for all the questions, but they help with working out what the problem might be. Maybe you can add a picture of the tank too and somebody might be able to give you some advice how to help Sally. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1