How do axolotls eat worms?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
My little guy is about 6" long. I just recently started him on red wigglers. So far, most of the time he sucks it up right quick, and kind of spits it out a little bit and seems to fight with it. On occasion, he spits it out and tries again.
Is this how they typically eat worms?
Are these red wigglers too big? I'm afraid to cut them because they excrete a foul smell. :/
Is he just trying to kill it before swallowing?
Thanks.

They sometimes keep spitting them out to try position them right. The worm might be too big though, many people recommend cutting them to the same width as the axolotls head. Maybe try cutting it and see if the axolotl is still interested or the smell/taste puts it off?

My little guy is about 6" long. I just recently started him on red wigglers. So far, most of the time he sucks it up right quick, and kind of spits it out a little bit and seems to fight with it. On occasion, he spits it out and tries again.
Is this how they typically eat worms?
Are these red wigglers too big? I'm afraid to cut them because they excrete a foul smell. :/
Is he just trying to kill it before swallowing?
Thanks.

Red wrigglers have a foul taste to match their smell. A lot of amphibians won't take them. You can cut the worm up and soak it in water before feeding to make it more palatable. The reaction to spit it out is probably due to taste.

It could also be a size issue. It is easier for them to swallow chunks, so cutting it will solve either problem.

Just to but in sorry... My axies do this (not with red wrigglers jus normal earthworms) however if i chop them up n offer them my axies just turn away asif ive ruined it so i feed whole around 3/4 inch worms n my axies are 7/8 inch .. Id rather they fought with the worm n ate it rather than not eat at all? Am i wrong for doing so? X

Just to but in sorry... My axies do this (not with red wrigglers jus normal earthworms) however if i chop them up n offer them my axies just turn away asif ive ruined it so i feed whole around 3/4 inch worms n my axies are 7/8 inch .. Id rather they fought with the worm n ate it rather than not eat at all? Am i wrong for doing so? X

As long as they eat it with no problems, it should be OK :wacko:

I give my axolotl nightcrawlers, and I usually hold their tail and offer them to Godric by the head. That way he can just suck them up. He eats them pretty quickly and usually doesn't have any problem getting them down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back