Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus question

Kerry M

Reaction score
Hello again,

Mum's foot is a little bit injured so I am currently fridging her and salt bathing her. I have never seen fungus before and assume that this is the problem. Mum hasn't eaten for the last week and her tank mate has got larger and become more ravenous when I feed him. I only assume that her foot was accidentally injured causing this problem. At first I thought it was skin but last night noticed a transparent ball of whitish fluff surrounding her toe. So here are some pictures of her foot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361582350.381702.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361582365.781656.jpg
Just want to make sure that I'm taking the right course of action.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361582329.402392.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361582329.402392.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 99

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kerry,

Yes, that looks like fungus. Try using a cotton bud and very gently swipe at the fungus with the bud, and see if you can 'roll it off'. If it comes off, continue salt baths for a couple of days to make sure of it.

If it doesn't shift though, don't force it! Give the salt baths a couple of days to attack the fungus, and then try the bud again.

peatea

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pictures - it's really useful for those of us who haven't seen/experienced fungus before. I think your axolotls may be getting everything out of the way now so there will be no issues whatsoever while you are on holiday!! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1