Recent black colouring change?

nstone63

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Recently our axolotl Fritz has had a bit of a colour change happen, he's had a few black spots here and there since we got him 6 months ago, but in the last week they've changed quite dramatically and I'm unsure as to why.

He's had a spot on his mouth for a long time, but the large patches around his butt are new this week..

Our water is all zero, with pH sitting 7.4-7.6, temp usually 19 c. He's usually eating every second day, taking beef heart/prawn mix tabs

Is there something I need to be doing to treat any of this, or is it to be expected like this?

Cheers,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 311
I don't like the sound of beef heart/prawn mix tabs as a diet! Might be ok as an occasional treat but earthworms are the best sole diet. If you can't get earthworms then Hikari Sinking Carnivores pellets or gutloaded crickets are pretty good.

Regards Neil

Hi all,

Recently our axolotl Fritz has had a bit of a colour change happen, he's had a few black spots here and there since we got him 6 months ago, but in the last week they've changed quite dramatically and I'm unsure as to why.

He's had a spot on his mouth for a long time, but the large patches around his butt are new this week..

Our water is all zero, with pH sitting 7.4-7.6, temp usually 19 c. He's usually eating every second day, taking beef heart/prawn mix tabs

Is there something I need to be doing to treat any of this, or is it to be expected like this?

Cheers,
Nick

It does look like parasites.

Are you sure all your water readings are zero? Can you check your test kits expiry date as all the readings being zero is really unual and if they are coming back as all zero then that could indicate your kit is not working properly.

I concur with the opinion that the pellets you are using do not sound as though they would provide an adequate nutritional profile. Earthworms really are the way to go if you can get them.

Last edited:
I got a water test done at the local aquarium shop and it was zero on their kit too the other day. My kit at home this morning is all zero except for 5 on nitrates.

Had a hard time so far finding earthworms because we can't really do the farming thing where we live renting :(

I'm gonna go to the aquarium place today and ask them about a good vet for him, as well as a better diet to be feeding him.

Is there anything I can do for fritz in the meantime before I get to a vet for him?

Thanks for all the replies :)

I got a water test done at the local aquarium shop and it was zero on their kit too the other day. My kit at home this morning is all zero except for 5 on nitrates.

Had a hard time so far finding earthworms because we can't really do the farming thing where we live renting :(

I'm gonna go to the aquarium place today and ask them about a good vet for him, as well as a better diet to be feeding him.

Is there anything I can do for fritz in the meantime before I get to a vet for him?

Thanks for all the replies :)

Hi there, you can get earthworms from Bunnings (500/1000 packs) or if your after a smaller amount to keep in your fridge, I got some at Petbarn (you might need to ask them to order in for you).

We are renting too but have just set up a worm farm in the backyard, we'll just take it with us if we move (unless your in a unit, then maybe you could use the laundry to set up)?

Check the Sticky in the Sick Axolots section on where to find Vets too - very handy, there's a link to some Aussie Vets and might save you a lot of time looking for someone to help you and Fritz out :happy:

I started up a worm cafe that I got from Bunnings too. It sits right next to my tanks in the lounge room of all places. It is quite a stylish looking thing. I put 1500 worms in it and some old veggies and it is thriving. It's only been 2 weeks old now. Best $140 that I've spent for a while. I'll never have to buy food for them again, and it is a useful way to recycle waste of course. I just need to invest in a head torch so the light doesn't annoy the axies while I hunt for those worms.

I just saw that you said that you rent. I rent too and might have to put it outside during the next inspection. I'm not a gardener and it has been a very very easy thing to get started. And the little ones look at me in anticipation when I go anywhere near it. I am planning to get the compost bomb from Kookaburra worms to start up another level in thr next few weeks. However if you don't have a lot of axies you probably only need one level (the worm cafe has three levels that can be used).

My axolotl has exactly the same thing as this axie. Could someone please tell me how this ended? I'm worried :(

Yasumi, could you give us the details? What are you feeding your axie?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I'm feeding my axies earthworms from the local pet store.

I was on a holiday, and left my axies to my friends who took care of them. The water temperature apparently got very high (up to 30 degrees Celsius) and my friend didn't change the water to cool it off. This was for about 3 days when one friend took care of them, and they didn't eat at all. When my mom took over for the rest of the 7 days, she did 1/3 water changes every day and after 2 days they started eating again. The water temperature was then around 24. I have no further information about the water stats at that moment. When I returned one day ago, they looked really happy. I just noticed the markings on their faces. My mom said that she found them like that and that i got a little less over the 7 days. I will post the waterstats tomorrow. They look really happy, but I'm just very worried that it's a parasite.

Canadian Tire sells cases of 18 for 5.75. Recently I found a 24/7 gas station that sells 24 for 5.00. My lil guys love earth worms!

They apparently got over it by themselves! I went to the vet, and he took a sample and inspected it under the microscope. I'm very happy!

That's great Yasumi! I hope they stay healthy :)

Nstone, any news on your axolotl?

So.. My axie has this now too, just on her butt. The water parameters are all fine. Temp is 18, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20ish (light orange color and haven't done water change in a little less than a week). She doesn't seem bothered and is eating Iike a champ. I placed new live plants in but they came from shops that had no fish or snails or shrimp in the same water and I had cleaned/checked them throughly ( I had a nightmare when I got my first plant that I missed some snail eggs and I woke up ((in my dream)) and my babies were covered in thousands of baby snails .. But luckily it was just a dream :) ). Anyway I just got sidetracked. Can someone tell me what the hell it is because I'm stressing slightly.

P.s I feed them both earthworms from my compost garden if that helps.. And my wild one does not have this weird black thing I've been looking at him everyday very intensely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back