Crazy Axolotl Owners!

snuggly time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Beks
Hi everyone,

I've noticed since I got my axolotl a few months ago, I've turned into this crazy person... So does anyone else do weird things like I do? Please post if you do!

-Talking to the axolotl
Constantly talking to my axolotl even though he doesn't understand. This has become so bad that I said bye to him the other day before leaving for work and my boyfriend replies "Bye!" - My reply "No not you, Wooper, I forgot about you."

-Congratulating him
Last night I tested his water and it had traces of nitrites in it. I then clapped and told wooper I was proud of him and his cycle and spent the rest of the night very pleased because of Nitrite!

-Asking if he's hungry
Of course he's hungry! He's sat in his feeding jar waiting for food to appear!

-Waving
If he looks at me I wave hoping one day he will wave back.

:uhoh:

Yes to all of the above ...... :rofl::

I even asked mine yesterday, why he wasn't eating, wasn't he hungry ? Or did he have a pain in his tummy ? Funnily enough, he didn't answer just looked at me as if to say "are you for real?" :eek:

Maybe axolotls attract crazy people? :screwy::what:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm convinced everyone else is crazy, not me.

For example:

A) There are people out there that seem to think turkey basters are used predominantly for basting turkeys. Can you imagine?

B) Using coffee bags to filter coffee? Oh dear. Surely they realize that these bags were designed to drain and rinse daphnia and baby brine shrimp. No? They need to be told!

C) Soup ladle? Does anyone really like soup?? A ladle is an ideal tool to move larvae from place to place in high style. Honestly!

The list goes on, and I do try to educate Homemaker store staff as to the full range of capabilities of the above items, and much more...but they all dive under their counters after turning a ghastly shade of green for some reason.

Those poor people...:(

At work...

Me: Can I have some of that old lettuce if you're throwing it out?
Colleague: Yeah, but it's not exactly edible.
Me: It's just to throw in with my worm farm.
Colleague: Worms? What?
Me: Yeah I started a worm farm for my axolotl.
Random customer (waiting to be served at the till): An axo...what?

I then spent 10 minutes talking about my cute axolotl to two interested customers who both ended up with faces like this :confused: :eek: after the conversation ended in "I feed him chopped up worms".

Ahh! Im going to turn into a crazy axolotl lady, i can see it already. I already talk to them like a cat, like they actually would answer to the clicking noise to tell a pet to "come here" . I also say good bye and hello to them.
I also get this :confused: look when i talk about them but they are just to fricken cute and interesting! I will sit and watch them eat(does that make me a creeper) and just walk around.

All of the above! I reassure them everythings ok when doing water changes and as I'm going up to bed I say "night guys!" I always congratulate them every time they eat as well. Nice post :D

So the customer (one of our regulars) I mentioned earlier came in today and asked how my weird little newt thing was doing lol!

My coworkers think I'm nuts! Not too long ago, I had two axies shipped to my work so I wouldn't miss them if they got dropped off at home early in the day. I opened the box with utter delight, while everybody else looked at me like I was crazy for cooing at a couple "ugly water lizards". Haha! I also had some earthworms shipped in for a new worm farm. You should have seen the looks I got for those too!

My list of c̶r̶a̶z̶y̶, I mean normal things

1. I say "Good Morning' and "Good Night" to my pets everyday. And say "Hello Gorgeous" every time I walk past (I'm not referring to my reflection in the tank :p)
  2. I pull up a chair to their tank (and block access to half the house) to do my homework and read to them.
  3. I refer to them as 'My Sweety Fish' cause my mum said that she would scream if I said the word 'axolotl' one more time.
  4. And best of all I got looks like :shocked: and :eek: and :sick: when I told people how proud I was when my axolotl pooped in the fridge :proud:

I talk to all my pets. My axolotls, my geckos, my dogs. Usually it's to tell them how pretty they are or how proud I am of how much they've grown or to ask them if they're hungry. XD I spent about 10 minutes today scolding my geckos for 'tearing the moss out of your hides and spreading it all around the tank because oh my god I just cleaned it two days ago and now it looks like you've thrown a wild bachelor party in there.' :)

I don't baby talk them either. I've had my roomates honestly think I was talking to them and when they respond I'm like" What? Oh, I was talking to the 'lotls."

my youngest (4 yr old ) is constantly telling my axies off for sitting on top of the plants huntingnminnows

"No Shmeikel !. Leave them alone ! Fish are friends, not food!"

my youngest (4 yr old ) is constantly telling my axies off for sitting on top of the plants huntingnminnows

"No Shmeikel !. Leave them alone ! Fish are friends, not food!"

That last comment should've come with an uncontrollable laughter warning :D

It's nearly 2am & I just woke up my husband because I got the giggles from
"Fish are friends, not food!"
I love Finding Nemo so much it always cracks me up :) lol & I get to watch it at the dentists on the TV mounted to the ceiling - watching Nemo while on happy gas is another world experience 3D with no glasses needed ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

I sing narrate whatever my axolotls are doing.

It makes everything so much more exciting.

I just got my axxie a little PVC tee to play in, and as I was adding into the tank I caught myself saying "Oh man Charmander, you get a whole new playhouse. Oh man you're gonna love this SO much"

I dont know why I was so excited.

I just got my axxie a little PVC tee to play in, and as I was adding into the tank I caught myself saying "Oh man Charmander, you get a whole new playhouse. Oh man you're gonna love this SO much"

I dont know why I was so excited.

Haha I was SO excited about giving my axie moss ball to play with. He hasn't touched them once... :shocked:

I left my lotl over the weekend with my room mate to take care of him and when I got back the first thing I said was "OH MY GOSH THE WATER IS 72 DEGREES IT'S PRACTICALLY BOILING!"

my hubby says mine is the most spoilt animal on the planet. and i lavish more attention, affection on the axie then i do him. Apparently i dont fuss over his water parameters, temp. And spend 10min searching the fattest earth worms for him.f

Haha I was SO excited about giving my axie moss ball to play with. He hasn't touched them once... :shocked:

I know it isnt axies, but I do that ALL the time with my rats, I come home all excited that I got them a new toy, and it goes untouched.
However, my axies came in a box full of cardboard packing peanuts or whatever, and I learned they are a great toy for my rats! recycling! yeah!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back