Kerry M

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
-o-o-o-kerry-o-o-o-
Is this OK for axies?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361700288.398861.jpg

I've been recommended this for my fish and wondered the same thing.

Prime looks like it Prime 'removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia'. Perhaps removing the ammonia is a problem...

Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure about it. Surely that would just crash the cycle?

So far I have found posts of people using it. I just want to be sure as I'm getting it for someone. Don't want to get the wrong thing :)

I've been using this from the outset- it's a great product, especially if you're in an area with annoyingly old pipes. But, there are some tricks to using it especially if you're trying to cycle a tank. Firstly, only treat the water that is going into the tank, never the entire thing unless you've had a massive ammonia spike and your aquatic family members are at risk. If you can get a 0.01mL graded syringe, you can measure it out quite accurately.
Secondly, if you can let it sit for a bit (the longer the better), do so. Not only will the Prime have a better chance to knock out all the nasties, but your water will age slightly and the chances of it impacting the rest of the tank will be drastically reduced.
Finally, like any product- be responsible in how you're using it. Don't overdose it unless you're in a situation where it is 100% bonafide required (deshelling baby brine shrimp, for example is where it comes into its own), and if it ever (like it's going to happen....) gets to the point where it expires, chuck it.
Hope this gives you a better idea of how to deal with it :D

I think I'll buy it for myself one day. I bought a much more simple ager for someone else as it will be new for them. I will keep that info for myself, thanks for spending so much time giving me good info, hopefully others will benefit from it too.

Kerry from my own experience I found it ok to use safety wise - but it can mess with a cycle that is just starting out. It binds ammonia which makes it less toxic but also limits its availability to the good bacteria that need to consume the ammonia in order to create the Nitrite then once having the nitrite available that encourages the next bacteria we need that changes it to Nitrate.

<3 >o_o< <3

...-premature send-... :eek:

As mentioned use Prime only in the new water before adding it to the aquarium - not using it directly into tank to reduce an ammonia spike.

Also as mentioned not using more than needed is essential. Correct dosage means less problems with cycling.

It's good you didn't get it for Jerome as I'm not sure he'll be accurate when it comes to measuring. The simpler agers are less likely to be a problem if they are used with an occasional heavy hand.

<3 >o_o< <3

I am thinking of getting some of this I know its not ideal for cycling and am currently using Aquasafe but my tap water is .25 ammonia and don't want to keep adding more with water changes. I would think that there is enough ammonia to keep the cycle going without adding more would you agree?

I bought it for myself today just in case I ever want to try it. My cabinet that once had ornaments on it has transformed with an assortment of tests, conditioners , salts and more. Thanks Nikki, I'll make sure that I use it carefully when I do and I'll use it just for water changes.

I've been using this from the outset- it's a great product, especially if you're in an area with annoyingly old pipes. But, there are some tricks to using it especially if you're trying to cycle a tank. Firstly, only treat the water that is going into the tank, never the entire thing unless you've had a massive ammonia spike and your aquatic family members are at risk. If you can get a 0.01mL graded syringe, you can measure it out quite accurately.
Secondly, if you can let it sit for a bit (the longer the better), do so. Not only will the Prime have a better chance to knock out all the nasties, but your water will age slightly and the chances of it impacting the rest of the tank will be drastically reduced.
Finally, like any product- be responsible in how you're using it. Don't overdose it unless you're in a situation where it is 100% bonafide required (deshelling baby brine shrimp, for example is where it comes into its own), and if it ever (like it's going to happen....) gets to the point where it expires, chuck it.
Hope this gives you a better idea of how to deal with it :D

Thanks for these tips. Now I need that special syringe, another useful tool for my cabinet ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back