New to Axolotls

RecentGrad12

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm currently looking for axolotls to add to my family. In the mean time, I'm continuing my research and learning more about the little critters.

That being said, no amount of reading will sum up the knowledge of those who have experience keeping them.

I have a few different sizes of tanks to set up, but I would love the input of those of you here on a good starter size, substrate, filters (I LOVE sponge filters, use them for fish), live plants, etc.

What mistakes did you all make that I can learn from? I definitely don't want a disaster because something was omitted or overlooked. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

A 2 ft tank should be good enough for 2 grown adults. It's more important to have more space lengthwise than height as they love swimming and walking around. Sand is the best substrate but some people have a bare bottom tank because it's easier to clean but could stress the axolotls out because of a lack of grip. Don't use gravel though because if the axolotls swallow it, it can get stuck in their digestive system and possibly kill them. I use a sponge filter but pick one that isn't too powerful, the axolotls don't like flowing water. All freshwater plants are fine but obviously can rot so plastic plants would be a good idea.
Good luck!

That's been pretty much what I've read so far, so I'm confident I'll have good luck.

I have a heavily planted fish tank, so I'm experienced in the upkeep of plant waste. It does get messy sometimes!

Thanks for the reply :)

Hi,

The mistake I made was putting a heater in the tank. I had it on 18c but it's not needed. They like cool clean water, so room temperature is fine. Just make sure the water doesn't go above 24c or freeze lol.
As for the tank, the bigger the better! Try to give as much floor space as you can. A turkey baster will also be your best friend. They're amazing at removing waste quickly!
The best diet for them is earthworms. Axolotls will love you for providing wriggly food :D

I think if I did have any issue, it would be keeping the water cool enough lol. Texas summers are wretched. But, I haven't had an issues keeping my angelfish tank at a constant 72, so these guys should be okay. I'll be scouting around for earthworms. I'm sure feed stores around here will carry them lol.

Thanks guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back