Gasp, I kept my axolotl in a goldfish bowl!

akaGreg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Greg N.
When my 9 year old daughter recently asked me if she could get an African clawed frog, it reminded me of a pet I had received in the late 1980's (probably a decade before most of the forum readers here were born). A friend of the family who could no longer care for her axolotl brought it to me in a large goldfish bowl. I was told that this was how she had kept it for 10 years as a pet. The axolotl was old for sure, with scars here and there, a small chunk missing from its tail, and a squared off tail tip which eventually tapered out again; it had also metamorphosed. (I have no idea at what age it metamorphosed.)

Garth lived on a coffee table in my apartment in his goldfish bowl for 3-4 years, which seems long based on what I now know. Even though he was kept in a bowl, he was not a neglected pet, I changed his water often, and he always had a plant of some kind to hide under. He watched TV with me, he read books with me, he even met my future wife. He won over everyone who took the time to visit him with his perpetual smile. When I found him dead one cold winter morning, I berated myself for not adding an aquarium heater of some kind to his bowl. I thought I had let the water get too cold. It is only now after researching axolotls again that I find they thrive in cooler water, and that the room temp at the time of his death was actually preferred. Now that I think about it I'm sure that throughout the time I cared for Garth he was actually kept too warm more often than not.

There is much more available information now to hobbyists interested in keeping these wonderful amphibians. Websites like Caudata.org are incredible sources of information. After looking at the suggested housing set-ups online I felt a pang of guilt for keeping Garth in a bowl. You have to remember that 25 years ago the internet was new, there were no sites like Axolotl.org to find information, or chat with other keepers. My only source of info came from a 1981 hardcover book: “Axolotls” by Peter Scott which I still have. (I see it is still being sold and touted as the book to get for pet owners.)

Out of curiosity I re-read the book to see if the housing and care requirements I provided were out of sync to those listed in the book. Surprisingly I found that I didn't do too bad, at least according to Scott. In the housing section he says that axolotls don't require running water or specially aerated water, and because Garth had metamorphosed that was especially true since he was gulping air from the atmosphere. Scott also states that once metamorphosed, axolotls can be kept in vivaria with low water levels, he says that labs keep them in 1-gallon shoe boxes and globe fish bowls. Ok, I'm no lab, and don't think we as hobbyists should be keeping our axolotls in lab like conditions like betta fish, but still my housing was not horrible based on what I knew at the time. I dug out the goldfish bowl Garth was kept in and measured the water capacity. At 12-inches in diameter, it holds over 1.5 gallons when filled 3/4's with water. Garth was probably kept in about a gallon of water. Not ideal, but it seemed adequate at the time.

Digital cameras were uncommon 25 years ago, and cost a fortune, I'm sure I have a photograph or two in a box somewhere, but I did find one low res image of Garth in my digital files. In it I can see that the gravel at the bottom was probably too large (or too small).

Some people might find it odd that I became attached to an amphibian, and miss my little buddy Garth even after all this time, but I'm sure many of you would understand.

Rest assured that if I do decide to acquire an axolotl for my daughter, it will find itself in a more substantial home.

Attachments

• AXOLOTL.JPG
    AXOLOTL.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 4,014
To survive in those conditions for so long shows how hard these animals are. It's completely understandable that you kept him like that. I can imagine back then there was little knowledge on axolotls. I even have a book which shows pictures of axolotls kept on gravel on most of the pages, which we now realize is far from ideal.

Thanks for sharing your story, it sounds like he was a loved pet. If you do get another axolotl this is the best place to ask questions and also share pictures which we all love to see!

What a terrific story, Garth certainly lived a long life even in less than perfect surrounds. I'm sure he enjoyed chilling out and watching TV with you ..... Lol

I'm sure you'll find everyone here friendly and there's no shortage of expert advice available whenever you ask. :happy:

When I first encountered axolotl as a youngster, they where also sold in goldfish bowls. I desperately wanted one, but my parents instead opted for a pair of tiny terrapins...which where sold with a shallow bowl with a small palm tree island. :eek:

I love that story :)
Garth was lucky he was so loved.

Like the saying says...
When we know better - We do better.

I love all the 80's references... I'm starting to sound like an old bag at 41 with the... Oh back in my day at school we didn't have the Internet or mobile phones and computers with less memory than your phone took up whole buildings, as for digital cameras - the young of today will never understand the excitement of taking film to be developed & the devastation when you discover the entire roll over exposed, blurry or with thumb over lens :') lol
We never took 'selfies' back then either ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361789460.898857.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361789502.666169.jpg

Some giggles for the oldies :D

Oh & welcome - you'll fit right in! :)

<3 >o_o< <3

I love that story :)
Oh back in my day at school we didn't have the Internet or mobile phones and computers with less memory than your phone took up whole buildings, as for digital cameras - the young of today will never understand the excitement of taking film to be developed & the devastation when you discover the entire roll over exposed, blurry or with thumb over lens :') lol
We never took 'selfies' back then either ;)

I sorry for being off topic, but this was really funny.
I actually laughed for real :D Not the rubbish when people said 'LOL X D X D'

Although I'm only 18, I had a 'back in my day' discussion with a couple friends.
It included 'Back in my day, there was no 'wireless'. To have a functional computer (as functional as computers get) e.g all hooked up to desktop, hard drive, power, internet, print etc required miles and miles of wires. And to get to the computer chair without tripping over and disconnecting 'spaghetti junction' was considered a successful session ;)" Also back in the day, there was no broadband ultra fast internet only dial up, which took 10 minutes to connect . . . if you were lucky" That noise that dial up makes still haunts me :crazy:

Just saying, this was a light hearted conversation using mild accents to make people laugh, not a youth complaining group :happy:

Back on topic, great story. Garth sounds like a much loved and awesome axolotl:D

One thing I noticed. Garth never lost his tail fin unlike metamorphosed axies and his head looks too skinny for an axolotl. Also his coloration is not the standard flat black tone I've seen in melanoids that metamorphosed but is way off for a wild type metamorph. Also axolotls become terrestrial like tiger salamanders. This leads me to believe Garth wasn't really an axolotl or at least not totally axolotl (hybrid). Anyone else have this opinion?

This thread is from Feb. 2013, I don't think it's really relevant anymore.

I made a new one about it cus that is more relevant cus it's new :D logic

I made a new one about it cus that is more relevant cus it's new :D logic

No I made post about it only because I'm very surprised nobody noticed the differences it has haha

It does look a lot like a tiger salamander from the picture, but I'd want to see more pictures to be sure. Anyway there's no point starting a new thread on it when it is so old and there is only one picture to go by.

I'm pretty sure it's a grey tiger salamander forced to be aquatic. See the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 670
The grey tigers have all the features this one has that an axie doesn't so from a logical standpoint I think it's case closed it was a grey tiger sal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back